The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Public Service Riding shows. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/public-service-riding-shows-193218/)

Fort fireman 05-14-2013 06:51 PM

Public Service Riding shows.

Ok, let me explain and see if I can get some ideas from yall. Here I go. Im a fireman in NC. I've been riding horses for along time but have never really gotten into the showing so much. As of late I've kinda gotten this idea and I'm not really sure it is a good one or how to go about it.
I've thought of putting on a kind of a fund raiser type horse show. I would let it be open to Fire, Police, and Medic personel and family. When you sign up for a class and get your number you get a color number tag to designate who you represent. A fireman( family) would get red, cop, blue and so on. Before hand set up a fund for each branch. take for instance right now we have a fireman with leukemia. The winner of each class depending on who they represtent would have half the proceeds from entry fees go to their fund. Then at the end of the show hopefully each fund would have a decent little bit of money. It would be for a good cause and bring a little friendly inter service rivalry out.:D

The reason i thought of this is every year we have a hockey game against the police.( I used to play). we have a baseball game, golf tournaments, football games and so on. I think it would be kind of fun to try some equestrian stuff.

Here is my problem(s). First , I'm not sure it is a good idea.

Second, I'm not sure if it would really be a big draw for entries.

Third, I've never shown(english or western) so I'm not even sure where to start.

and D, No clue weather to do all western, english, or both and how speacialized to get with it.

Would love to here from some people that have done some showing and even better if theyve been part of putting on a show or 8. :lol:

Oh, I am pretty well certain i would have to open it to more than just my cities departments. i may even nedd to go a few counties big to get enoughpeople to make it worth while.

Fort fireman 05-14-2013 08:44 PM

maybe I should have put this in the horse showing section. Sorry

updownrider 05-14-2013 09:17 PM

I like your idea a lot but I could also see it as a special class to benefit your fund rather then a whole horse show itself. If you run an event or show, you will have to deal with insurance, etc. Since you are a NYC Fireman and thinking about opening it up to other counties and boroughs, I think you should think about contacting The Hampton Classic, since they have a Local Day. Your idea may be something they could incorporate into their schedule, if not for this year maybe next year.

The Hampton Classic - HOME

Fort fireman 05-14-2013 09:29 PM

sorry for the confusion. I'm in North Carolina.

updownrider 05-14-2013 09:41 PM

Whoops! Where in NC, if you do not mind me asking.

Fort fireman 05-14-2013 10:11 PM

Work in Charlotte. Live about an hour north.