The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Not really breeding but don't know where else to post? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/not-really-breeding-but-dont-know-193234/)

Mousie96 05-14-2013 05:59 PM

Not really breeding but don't know where else to post?

Hey all. I have a breeding question for you. Have you ever seen/ heard of a open mare letting a stallion mount her 2+ times in the same day if she wasn't in heat? The reason I am asking is because my mare was sent to be pasture bred 2 weeks ago today and she was mounted 4 known times (I was there for one of the times) they did a courtship dance and e mounted her. And within a 3 hours he had mounted her 3 more times.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 05-14-2013 06:30 PM

there are mares that will let a stallion mount and even breed them when not in heat, but those are very few and far between.

I'm a little to confused. to make sure I understand correctly, you sent your mare away to be bred two weeks ago. she was immediately put in with the stallion, without knowing if she was in heat or not? then she was bred 4 times that day(that were witnessed)?

Mousie96 05-14-2013 06:46 PM

She was tossed right in with him after they where meeting each other for about 15 minutes. I know that this should have not been done like that. There was no aggression or problems. The stallion got a erection when he met her. Don't know if that will help? No rude comments. I was not the one who decided to do this. I would have not done it that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 05-14-2013 06:52 PM

I would assume that she was in heat and may now be pregnant.

Mousie96 05-14-2013 07:10 PM

That's what I was thinking also. I am picking her up Friday morning. If she did not take she would be in heat this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mousie96 05-15-2013 09:44 AM

Just found out that the stud jumped a 6' fence to get back in with her late Monday night or early yesterday morning. They haven't seen him try to mount her, or do anything to/ with her. Is it possible that her hormones are causing her to go through a false heat cycle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 05-15-2013 10:05 AM

Do you have some reason to think that he didn't get her bred? Stallions will jump fences just because they are hopeful.

Mousie96 05-15-2013 12:16 PM

No I dont, he is fertile. He has a herd, 2 baby mommas (who are pregnant) and 3 foals. I am just wondering more than anything. I am picking her up on saturday morning. If she for some reason did not take to the first time, will that be enough time for her to be bred? I think that it will. But This will be my first pregnant mare! Well, besides my possibly 9 months pregnant, or 2 months pregnant mini mare. Not to confuse you, the stud got out 9 months ago and she was in with the stallion 2 months ago. So confusing!!

FeatheredFeet 05-15-2013 04:27 PM

Yikes. Sounds to me like many irresponsible stud owners.

Lizzie

Mousie96 05-15-2013 04:55 PM

I know! If I would have known that is what was going to happen I would not have brought my girl over there. I stayed and watched her for about a hour afterwords and the only thing that happened was he got kicked in the shoulder/neck area. He was very nice and sweet to her. He didnt kick, nip, bite, or anything like that to her. I let her settle in for about a week and I went to see her and she didnt have a scratch on her.