The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Disturbing Film - "Earthlings" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/disturbing-film-earthlings-19328/)

QtrHorse 12-15-2008 05:29 AM

Disturbing Film - "Earthlings"

This past weekend my son and I participated in a anti-fur protest and one of our fellow protestors gave me a copy of a film called "Earthlings". Although the film does not focus specifically on our use of and relationship with horses, they are included and discussed with a variety of other animals with whom we co-habitate with here on earth. It was produced in 2007 and is narrated by the actor Joaquin Phoenix.
If you are interested in educating yourself and your family about how humans treat our fellow species and how it is impacting our environment and health this is an excellent film. I caution that it is not for everyone, it will make you cry and you may never want to eat meat or fish again, wear leather, or continue to "look the other way" and ignore what is going on with our so-called food supply, clothing industry and entertainment industry. It will probably give you a few nightmares and I would never show it to young children who do not have the skills to deal with the graphic nature of the film.
If you are interested in viewing the film and can not find a free copy of it from a local animal rights organization chapter, send me an PM and I will make sure a copy gets sent to you.

QtrHorse 12-15-2008 06:14 AM

I forgot to include this: Informative Movie About Society's Treatment of Animals With EARTHLINGS

DarkChylde 12-15-2008 09:09 AM

Sounds interesting, I will hafta check it out. Thanx for the info!

Kudos on the protest! I did stuff like that back in the day....... Now I am too involved with nursing school and kids and horses. I was so proud of myself when I (well, WE) got locked up protesting the nuclear plant being built, ahhhhh, back in the day.....:lol:

Angel_Leaguer 12-17-2008 03:31 PM

I am a meat eater and will always be... I hunt, fish, and have assisted in raising cattle, goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and sheep for human consumption.

i did go to the website and watched the vidoes that they had on there and I do get upset over movies like this. I get upset in one way because of how some of the human race has been so cruel to other humans, animals, and nature. But it also upsets me because they bring out the worst in the human race... showing Hitler, the KKK, and the mass feed lots for a few examples. What about the people that raise the animals with repect?

There are many farmers that provide fresh feed, water, and bedding to the meat animals. Like when we raised and butchered, the animal was killed by a quick bolt to the head (ive seen it done many times)... also I feel that God provided the animals for us to eat (and other animals to eat), he also made plants and water available for the animals to grow (and humans)

The DNR puts limits in on how much wild game can be leagally taken- and they enforce it very tightly (atleast around where I hunt). Most people follow the rules but there is also times that some people don't, which ruins the way "outside" people look at hunting or fishing.

I know you didnt start the thread to offend anyone (which Im not offended) Im just putting my 2 cents in about how I feel with animal rights organizations... I agree that the way some things are run needs to stop but it shouldnt make everyone stop eating meat either....

wanderlust 12-17-2008 03:57 PM

I am a vegetarian, and try and only eat free range, organic eggs and milk. I try and not use leather when there is a suitable substitute. I don't wear fur.

But I do agree that a lot of the organizations are a bit over the top. There is a middle ground between the abuse and the exaggeration of how bad these industries are.

county 12-17-2008 04:28 PM

I eat meat love the stuff actually and just have never heard a logical reason to ban eating any species. Myself I don't take videos that are one sided seriously regardless who makes them or which side of an issue they represent. I've worked in the slaughter industry for decades and small livestock operations to large scale operations. Some of all are very very well run and some of all are very poorly run. The vast majority of both are very good and always have been.

kershkova 02-24-2009 09:33 PM

the only fur iteam i own is my uggs and leather stuff for my horse. allmy friends parnets who raise like cows and stuff treat them with respect and bath them and take care of thewm just like their horses their meat and milk cows . so at lest some people are like that.

xilikeggs0 03-02-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtrHorse (Post 211837)
This past weekend my son and I participated in a anti-fur protest and one of our fellow protestors gave me a copy of a film called "Earthlings". Although the film does not focus specifically on our use of and relationship with horses, they are included and discussed with a variety of other animals with whom we co-habitate with here on earth. It was produced in 2007 and is narrated by the actor Joaquin Phoenix.
If you are interested in educating yourself and your family about how humans treat our fellow species and how it is impacting our environment and health this is an excellent film. I caution that it is not for everyone, it will make you cry and you may never want to eat meat or fish again, wear leather, or continue to "look the other way" and ignore what is going on with our so-called food supply, clothing industry and entertainment industry. It will probably give you a few nightmares and I would never show it to young children who do not have the skills to deal with the graphic nature of the film.
If you are interested in viewing the film and can not find a free copy of it from a local animal rights organization chapter, send me an PM and I will make sure a copy gets sent to you.

Sorry, but have you never ridden in a leather saddle, or worn leather boots?

GSJCCrider 03-02-2009 09:23 PM

I am a meat eater and i could not live without it;) But the reson i am not a vegitarian is cuz, even tho i would not be eating meat, they are still gonna eat meat.

Dumas'_Grrrl 03-05-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by county (Post 213377)
I eat meat love the stuff actually and just have never heard a logical reason to ban eating any species. Myself I don't take videos that are one sided seriously regardless who makes them or which side of an issue they represent. I've worked in the slaughter industry for decades and small livestock operations to large scale operations. Some of all are very very well run and some of all are very poorly run. The vast majority of both are very good and always have been.

I couldn't agree with you more.