The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   So excited first show ever for me (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/so-excited-first-show-ever-me-193290/)

Tayz 05-14-2013 07:44 PM

So excited first show ever for me
 
So a very dear friend of mine has offered to float Smarty to the big show in about 2 weeks time to do the sporting. Im very excited beause ive never had this chance ans i remember last year you were allowed to go whatever pace you wanted to which works well for me. I have no idea what you actually wear for sporting and no idea if theres anything in particular that i should be getting smarty like boots or something. Her tack that she will be riding in is brodlereins, all purpose saddle, saddle pad and her breastplate. Im so excited. Going to start practising the games with her but how often should i ride her before she goes? She loves going places so i know shes going to be really excited when she sees a float pull up (shes been showed in past owner and will self load into float she is so eager) im so excited but i have no idea what i need! We are going to pay of the stables for rent tomorrow :) any tips guys??
Posted via Mobile Device

HollyBubbles 05-15-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayz (Post 2515418)
So a very dear friend of mine has offered to float Smarty to the big show in about 2 weeks time to do the sporting. Im very excited beause ive never had this chance ans i remember last year you were allowed to go whatever pace you wanted to which works well for me. I have no idea what you actually wear for sporting and no idea if theres anything in particular that i should be getting smarty like boots or something. Her tack that she will be riding in is brodlereins, all purpose saddle, saddle pad and her breastplate. Im so excited. Going to start practising the games with her but how often should i ride her before she goes? She loves going places so i know shes going to be really excited when she sees a float pull up (shes been showed in past owner and will self load into float she is so eager) im so excited but i have no idea what i need! We are going to pay of the stables for rent tomorrow :) any tips guys??
Posted via Mobile Device

If its anything like the sports days here in nz, just dress tidily. A clean pair of jods, clean boots(long or short), clean helmet that fits current safety standards, clean long sleeved shirt(usually white with collar), a tie and a clean show jacket or vest if you have one.. Just be tidy, its a sports day not a rated show. Honestly, I usually turn up in my short sleeved ratcatcher with my blue vest that matches my saddle blanket and I get placed in everything.

If Smarty normally wears boots, then she can wear them, but don't put any more gear on her than you normally would, there's no point. Just be sure that all her gear is clean and safe.

Ride her as you normally would, even the day before the show. She may need the day after off if it's been a hard day, or a nice stretching ride, or she may be just fine and you may be able to keep riding as normal, you can be the judge of that the day after the show.

Take an extra lead rope, extra set of reins, extra halter, just in case something goes wrong and something breaks, normally it wont happen, but your better to be prepared. Take a bucket for her so you can get her some water after she is finished. Oh, and a lunge rope just in case she is too excitable to get on to start with.

And also, any time you don't need to be on her(milling around between classes etc) get off, or let her rest. She is not your walking grandstand to watch your friends and you don't want to tire her out more than necessary(that is a habit of mine, but only because my horse is 16.1hh, and very excitable at shows, so he has to keep moving.

Most importantly, take a camera, and a smile, and have fun. Every show is a good show if your having fun, even if you come home unplaced

HollyBubbles 05-15-2013 03:51 AM

Oh hold on, the clothes for you is assuming that your going to a predominantly english show, and riding english... If its all western then I wouldn't have a clue :lol:

Tayz 05-15-2013 05:12 AM

Apparently u wear whatever you want to wear but thanks for all the other very useful pointers. Youve given me some great ideas! :D

HollyBubbles 05-15-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayz (Post 2519330)
Apparently u wear whatever you want to wear but thanks for all the other very useful pointers. Youve given me some great ideas! :D

That's alright then, it's like that here but everyone ends up in "show gear"

Good good, you might want some calmer for yourself if your like me and get nervous with all the goings on :lol: but have fun and let us all know how it goes, and if you can get somebody to take photos, then definitely do that

Tayz 05-19-2013 08:24 AM

Calmer? What can i give me to calm down thats legal lol! I thought maybe i should get some calming stuff for her but kinda thoughtbwell if i cant ride her with no supplements whats the point? Shes done showin and pony club all her life and they used nothing. Its me not her that needs the experience and to be calm relaxed
Posted via Mobile Device

HollyBubbles 05-20-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayz (Post 2557514)
Calmer? What can i give me to calm down thats legal lol! I thought maybe i should get some calming stuff for her but kinda thoughtbwell if i cant ride her with no supplements whats the point? Shes done showin and pony club all her life and they used nothing. Its me not her that needs the experience and to be calm relaxed
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I meant :lol: you could try anything, even chamomile tea or something like that.
If you normally eat breakfast in the morning, then eat something. Chances are you will be too nervous to eat, and if you are then take something little with you to eat once the nerves calm down, but if you eat nothing you'll just wind up feeling sick and that'll shoot your nerves :lol:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0