The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What kind of Feed do you use??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-kind-feed-do-you-use-19332/)

BarnManager 12-15-2008 10:02 AM

What kind of Feed do you use???

We use a local feed shops 10% sweet (i hate sweet feed....but it is cheep) and Nutrina Life Design Senior. I am looking into replacing the senior with an ADM senior feed. Does anyone use their feed??? It does not have the molasses added and looks to have a forage base in the pelleted mix. Any experience??

Thanks
BarnManager

kickshaw 12-15-2008 10:15 AM

i'm sorry, i've never heard of ADM - but in a senior feed, you want slightly elevated protein levels (12-14%) and a forage base or beet pulp base. Also ensure that there are added vitamins/minerals and that the tag does not read something like "grain products"...you want it to say "beet pulp" or "soybean hulls"

another consideration with senior feed is if it is a complete feed (no hay needed) or not. Also, make sure it can be easily soaked for those guys with fewer teeth :-)

good luck!

county 12-15-2008 10:31 AM

I feed Purina Horse Chow 200 to my old stallion his teeth are worn down alot so he has trouble chewing hay. Other then that I only feed whole oats and corn no commercial feeds and I give min/via free choice.

walkinthewalk 12-15-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnManager (Post 211904)
We use a local feed shops 10% sweet (i hate sweet feed....but it is cheep) and Nutrina Life Design Senior. I am looking into replacing the senior with an ADM senior feed. Does anyone use their feed??? It does not have the molasses added and looks to have a forage base in the pelleted mix. Any experience??

Thanks
BarnManager

I don't have experience with ADM either. Here's a link that I think is the company you're asking about. They sound pretty good.

Equine

It may be that switching to a better quality of feed (as opposed to sweet feed) may enable you to actually feed less to some of the horses and they will still maintain their weight:-)

hotreddun 12-15-2008 12:45 PM

Not familiar with ADM. I personally say if you can get any Triple Crown products...USE THEM! I had to go without them for 5 months (not sold where I moved to) but after suffering through low-quality products (won't name any names...cough Purina) and my horse losing some topline and gaining "bottom line" belly as a consequence...I finally drove 2 hours and bought 4 months worth of Triple Crown:?

Peggysue 12-15-2008 12:54 PM

ADM is suppose to be a GREAT company even above Triple Crown but they are more expensive and harder to get in most areas

that being said I am a Kent person thur and thur :) I use Kent's Horsego32 and add in beet pulp or alfalfa pellets for extra calories as needed (very rarely)

New_image 12-15-2008 02:06 PM

I will not feed sweet feed, to me its just candy.

I feed soaked beet pulp & rolled oats, And Triple Crown Complete feed or Purina's Equine Senior. I also like Purina Strategy, not currently feeding that however.

Peggysue 12-15-2008 02:19 PM

if you are feeding Purina Senior or Strategy they are loaded with grains ... with higher NSC then most people think :)

starlinestables 12-15-2008 07:44 PM

I feed Strategy but love triple crown. It's not common in our area and is very expensive though.

kershkova 12-15-2008 08:42 PM

I think we use rider at my barn