The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Most Natural Feeds for the QH (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/most-natural-feeds-qh-193418/)

OliviaMyee 05-15-2013 02:55 AM

Most Natural Feeds for the QH

Whats the best most natural nutritous feed for the QH, I having NO grains as my horse will not be worked every day and want to keep things natural and healthy for the horse at grass.

aforred 05-15-2013 08:59 AM

Grass hay. If he's under weight or a hard keeper, you could add a little alfalfa. If he's an easy keeper or over weight, you could restrict his grass hay. I would add a source of salt and minerals appropriate for your area.

ETA: I read the first part of your post wrong. Pasture is the most natural. My advice with the grass hay can be applied to pasture as well.

verona1016 05-15-2013 09:50 AM

Yep- pasture/hay, salt, and water are the minimum. A quality vitamin supplement or ration balancer that complements the grass/hay by filling in the things that are missing is a very good idea (especially if pasture is limited and hay is fed year round, since things like vitamins A, E, omega 3's deteriorate very rapidly in hay; even hay made from "perfect" grass isn't perfect)

If the horse needs more calories, alfalfa, beet pulp, flaxseed, and/or rice bran are great.

OliviaMyee 05-16-2013 06:00 AM

Unfortunately im not allowed a place for hay at agistment i am at because im in the back paddock !:|

I have heard lucerne chaff and oaten chaff is good, what do you thinks the best ration balancer ? and than ive got a hamalayan salt lick, but if theres a ration balancer with the salts needed in it that would be good although i wont be using the supplement stuff in large ammounts just more in winter and depending on the work and depending on the pasture.

kitten_Val 05-16-2013 08:13 AM

You have to keep a salt block in a pasture whether it's summer or winter (you don't have to get one with minerals, you can just get the plain white one).

As for pasture, be careful for it not to be too lush (or you may consider having grazing muzzle on). Grass good quality hay (timothy, orchard, etc) is good for your horse too.

As for feed I use low sugar/low starch 1 lb twice/day (Blue Seal, Tribute, etc.)

OliviaMyee 05-16-2013 07:00 PM

Ok so here is what ive made up so far:
If i need to put wight on: Rice bran (DOUBT ill need weight on though)

If i get a place for hay i will get (its going to have to be squished in a barrel or something wierd !): Timothy hay, other grass hays that are good qaulity.

. Lucerne Chaff
. Apple cider vinegar
. Salt lick
. Vegetable oil or cod liver oil
. Little bit of oats maybe, or if theres something better and cheaper ill go with that.

.In the spring season and when theres big growths of green grass, im thinking a magnesium supplement.

When it gets to a drought, or when it rains and than becomes a drought back and forth. Im thinking of a general complimenting supplement for the horse with all the most important vitamins & minerals.

Ill ask around if there has been a soil test done before and ill figure out some how to get those supplements in there pure organic forms, so i can pre mix a supplement but than im so bad with measuring out stuff and having to do all the ratios for each supplement might not be a good thing.

toto 05-16-2013 07:28 PM

We feed an orchard mix and provide a mineral block.. hand full of either compete/cracked oats or sweet..

My opinion-- crimpt or cracked oats is most safe and natural grain you can give.

Apple cyder vinegar in the feed or water?

In the water- will make em drink more of it..

in the feed- for flies?

If youre givin hay 24/7 thats of good quality you wont need grain- only a salt/ mineral block and fresh water.

OliviaMyee 05-16-2013 09:46 PM

Apple cider vinegar in the feed.

OMG i just found pure organic Magnesium Oxide for sale online its 227g its 8.00$ and horses only need 31mg of Magnesium Oxide per day so this combined with the trace mineral supplement seaweed stuff that contains the nescacary vitamins and minerals will give me a great diet.

When theres heaps of grass growth thats new ill give the magnesium supplement and than the lucernce has calcium in it so hopefully that will balance it out, or the horse can chose how much lucerne it wants.

In drought seasons and times when grass is poor ill go onto a seaweed mineral and essential vitamin supplement. But if i can give natural food stuffs for vitaimns instead of the supplements for that i will.

But im thinking of having more natural food stuffs, and more fresh greens for vitamins in particular food that will help with a rough coat,hoof problems and getting to much sugar from the grass as i have seen horses thart only live of the grass in the paddock get those issues.

Thanks every one for your posts i really want to get the most natural best diet.

OliviaMyee 05-16-2013 09:53 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Oxide-Powder/dp/B0010B8CBW
Do you think this is alright to feed ^ i did research on it abit.

Endiku 05-16-2013 10:52 PM

Not quite on topic, but what does 'agistment' mean? :oops: I see you use the word a lot but I'm not familiar with its definition. I tried looking it up but the definitions I was getting had nothing to do with anything I think you're taking about xD