The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Working parents - summer plans? (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/working-parents-summer-plans-193522/)

Cynical25 05-15-2013 10:04 AM

Working parents - summer plans?

Sometimes I wish I was a teacher, just so I'd have the summer off! It's stressful finding the "right" summer camp(s) each year. What do your kids do while you're at work, once school is out?

aforred 05-15-2013 11:23 AM

I work at home with the horses, and I have a boarding house that I clean. So he gets to hang out with me if he needs to, but generally, he spends his summers at the city pool. (Except days he has a baseball game!)

busysmurf 05-15-2013 12:59 PM

My oldest (10) will stay at home by herself or go by my dad's occaisionaly. Then she has summer school from mid-June to the end of July.

My youngest (4) will remain at daycare all day.

cakemom 05-15-2013 01:08 PM

My job as a sub affords me the luxury of being home, and I groom pets from home as well- so I am very lucky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple 05-15-2013 03:16 PM

144 Attachment(s)
My husband and I stagger our working days. I'm off Mon, Tues, Wed and he's off Thur, Fri, Sat. I'm now working two jobs so he's more "hands on" at the moment then I am.

They will spend my days off at the stables this year, DD will compete in 5 or 6 lead rein shows, and DS will compete in one if we come across an under 3 category again - if not, he will just begrudgingly have to watch her. We will allow him to "warm up" the pony for a few minutes though in order to make him think he's taking part :)

Cynical25 05-16-2013 12:32 PM

My son is on two waiting lists for M-F all day camps, one of which we applied for in March. It's nerve-wracking not yet knowing where he'll go, as school gets out in two weeks...

Fowl Play 05-26-2013 10:48 PM

I am a teacher, but after school during the school year I give 4 lessons a week. That doubles during the summer. My daughter is 11 and helps in my lessons, or does barn chores for our barn owner/trainer. On occasion she will get to stay home alone, but she spends most of her summer working with me. She helps work off board for her horse, and helps work off her week of horsemanship camp.

AlexS 05-31-2013 01:27 AM

3 of my foster kids will be in a summer work program run by the office, it's a joke, if it rains they can't work and we have to pick them up. If it's too hot (you know summer) we have to pick them up.

The lil one, who is too young, will be with me, doing what I am doing.

Foxhunter 06-01-2013 09:24 PM

My sister use to pack her three up and send them to me for the holidays!
I loved having them but it was a relief when they went home - especially if they were reasonably injury free.

aforred 06-01-2013 09:26 PM

^^ LMAO!
Posted via Mobile Device