The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Sport horse possible Eventer? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/sport-horse-possible-eventer-193562/)

IrishEventer 05-15-2013 12:06 PM

Sport horse possible Eventer?

5 Attachment(s)
Hi I want to know what you guys think of my new buy, Harry. Hes a 15.1hh IrishXAppy Cross and hes just a beautiful mover. He can jump about 3'6'' and hes very soft with dressage. Do you guys think he could be a eventer? Hes 7 years old and still needs to learn but he WANTS to learn!!

Attachment 186130

Attachment 186138

Attachment 186146

Attachment 186154

Attachment 186162

tinyliny 05-15-2013 12:43 PM

simply gorgeous! He looks like a much bigger horse. what an interesting cross; Irish sport horse (right?) and Appalousa.

IrishEventer 05-15-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2521642)
simply gorgeous! He looks like a much bigger horse. what an interesting cross; Irish sport horse (right?) and Appalousa.

Thank you! And yes, He is a very interesting cross. A Irish Sport Horse is correct(: He does look like hes about 16.1 or something but yet again, im 5'6''.... lol.

tinyliny 05-15-2013 12:52 PM

I part lease an Irish Sport horse , who is 17hh. If Z is any example of the breed, I am hooked!

IrishEventer 05-15-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2521714)
I part lease an Irish Sport horse , who is 17hh. If Z is any example of the breed, I am hooked!

17h?! Wow, thats big compared to Har. I love the speed Har has. He has the speed and stamina to become an eventer. Im just wondering when the right time should be because he still needs a tad bit more training and I do want a bigger horse for bigger jumps but normally horses over 16.2hh have a harder time jumping because its harder for them to compress... But I do love big horses!

tinyliny 05-15-2013 01:12 PM

Z is a very brave horse to the jumps, but his size means that he is less agile in turns and other things. I don't have the skill nor courage to ride him cross country, but a few times we have galloped up a hill and the way he went forward, like a lion to the chase, was heart stoppingly exciting! If only I were 20 years younger!

IrishEventer 05-15-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2521914)
Z is a very brave horse to the jumps, but his size means that he is less agile in turns and other things. I don't have the skill nor courage to ride him cross country, but a few times we have galloped up a hill and the way he went forward, like a lion to the chase, was heart stoppingly exciting! If only I were 20 years younger!

Har is a very forward and confidant gelding so a part of me thinks he'll make a good eventer, but water is iffy with him....
:x :think:

tinyliny 05-15-2013 01:30 PM

May I make the most gentle of riding critiques? I see that in the photos his head is behind the vertical a lot, and it looks like he is leaning on the bit. Over time, he may learn this way of going, and if it becomes a habit, will become evasive of the bit by coming behind it. It's a very hard habit to break.
Sometimes, eventers have a ton of teaching and experience on jumping (something I know nothing about) but the dressage area is left til last. They might think that having the hroes's head pulled back in an arch is the correct way. It is something to look into once you have the time. Please forgive me if I overstep my bounds. I know this is not a crit thread, but you seem so excited about your new horse, and he is really a lovely horse with a ton of potential for both jumping AND dressage.

NaeNae87 05-16-2013 03:14 AM

Depends on the level you want to compete at...

Most horses can do lower level stuff, a little less can cope with the mid level stuff, and even less still can get into * level...

Even if he can jump it, the speed might be too much or vice versa. He is a lovely looking boy, an unusual mix but eye catching.

Let him have a crack at it and he might surprise you.

SorrelHorse 05-16-2013 03:28 AM

I don't see any huge reason why he shouldn't be able to do it. He is stunning.