The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Ollie's first time over the barrels! A must watch! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/ollies-first-time-over-barrels-must-193570/)

Klassic Superstar 05-15-2013 01:24 PM

Ollie's first time over the barrels! A must watch!

Not sure how many of you are Baby O fans but got him over his first scary jump yesterday in preparation for our first little schooling show!

After this ride I have no worries about Saturday! I had given him three days off before this due to my office changing locations and having to move with them and it being chaos :shock: so that alone made me so proud!

Please do not critique me as I know I'm not at my best, but I did...do feel very good about my riding. I know what I have to fix and it will only make for a better ride. I have drastically improved in my body mechanics this year so it's just another goal!

3 days till our show! Can't wait!
Hope you guys enjoyed watching Baby Ollie step it up a notch in his training! Just a month ago we couldn't have A. Put these to jumps together and canter to the second... B. land on the correct lead. C. Not go mock 10 to and out of the jumps....

All I have to say for that last part.....okay all of it...

TRANSITIONS!!!! TRANSITIONS!!!! TRANSITIONS!!!!

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2013 06:22 PM

Wooo!!!

I feel like the jump may be a bit easier for Ollie if you had a bit more forwards of a trot. He seems hesitant while he's trotting instead of consistently forward.

Having felt what jumping is like for a horse that isn't moving forward.. it's very jerky instead of a smooth transition over.

Klassic Superstar 05-15-2013 06:35 PM

Yes agreed but right now we just got him to stop rushing into and out of it so we are getting him used to going at a slow pace. In my next jump lesson I will ask my trainer about it.

Just getting him to respect my seat aids now for speed control. It was so nice to be able to go up the the barrels place my hands on his neck and keep him with my by my leg and seat!!!

updownrider 05-15-2013 06:43 PM

I see no problem with you trotting to the base at that speed over a fence that height. Very good job!!! I try to read your posts, but I think I missed something. Whatever you are doing on Saturday....best of luck!!!

Klassic Superstar 05-15-2013 06:46 PM

Upanddownrider, Thank you!!! hes still green and hard to remember he just turned 7 this month so I think for both those things hes doing great!!! I think Sky knows he has a lovely big floaty trot where his hind end has ALL the power....Once I get my body stronger, hands even more still and soft I will be able to support that kind of stuff... But soon we should be cantering to fences...I hope....correctly lol

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klassic Superstar (Post 2524850)
Yes agreed but right now we just got him to stop rushing into and out of it so we are getting him used to going at a slow pace. In my next jump lesson I will ask my trainer about it.

Yeah rushing is definitely worse than going slow.

You guys are coming along so nicely :) I'm extremely pleased for you!

Klassic Superstar 05-15-2013 07:44 PM

Sky- I wish you could have seen him jump when I first got him...bullet out of gun is what he resembled....now this :)

I could not be more please.

It is so so nice to finally have a horse that I see the progress, feel the change, and can keep progressing forward each month in both flat and jumping!

Its also so so nice to feel safe, to trust him, to be bale to push both myself and him harder when I know I need to or want to try something.

This little horse has done so much for me!