The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Creating a newer, better diet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/creating-newer-better-diet-193578/)

busysmurf 05-15-2013 12:30 PM

Creating a newer, better diet

Does anyone know any where or have any ideas on creating a new diet for Odie? The equine nutritionist in the area is no longer around, I'm left on my own and determining a proper diet is on my very weak end of skills :?. The vet put him on a very high protein diet 2 winters ago because he lost a lot of weight for no appearent reason, he's doing great now but I don't want to have a backslide. The vet currently thinks his diet is fine. I know that I can create a basic diet that will provide everything he needs, but probably won't be the ideal.

He's 22, 16.2hh QH, approx 1100 lbs. due to a skeletal deformity, he has arthritis in his hips. He has always moved so that his hind feet are squared of at the toe, per the chiro/vet that because of the defect. He has good feet, but his R front has had a crack in it since I've had him (almost 20 yrs). He is currently barefoot, and has been for about 10 years. He has been a lawn ornament for the last 6 years, but my daughter is going to be riding him huntseat now. So he's been on a "getting back in shape" program. For the time being, he gets 1 gr of bute before a ride until he's in a little better shape.

His current diet:
- approximately 8-10 lbs grass/alfalfa hay daily
- grass pasture (will be increasing gradually as pastures dry out and we're able to rotate them
- 3 lbs 14% mix & senior feed mixed.
- 4 oz. senior combo supplement (arthritis, joint, gut, coat, etc)

In the grain & supplement nutrients combined are as follows ( I didn't include everything):
crude protein 51%
crude fat (max) 28%
crude fiber (max) 30.5%
calcium (min) 2.45%
calcium (max) 3.5%
phosphorus (min) 1.6%
Vit A (min) 34,000 IU
Vit D (min) 9,350 IU
Vit E (min) 595 IU
B1 (min) 16 mg
Biotin (min) 20.45 mg
Glucosamine (min) 3400 mg
Chondroitin (min) 1200 mg
Omega 3 3400 mg
Omega 6 150 mg

The big reason I'm thinking about modifying it is that he HATES the supplement (won't even eat it in applesause or molasses!!). I'm also not liking the appearence of his coat, it's more rough and dull than it has ever been. He has always been a VERY easy keeper, so I'm pretty sure his diet is to much right now, but since he is getting older I know he needs more than he has in the past.

Thanks for any help:-).

aforred 05-15-2013 12:57 PM

FeedXL.com is a gpod site for formulating a diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

busysmurf 05-15-2013 01:30 PM

I will try that, THANKS!!

Joe4d 05-15-2013 01:50 PM

he wont eat 4 oz of supplement mixed in with 3 lbs of feed ? which seems like a lot on top of the alfalfa. maybe look at a different brand of supplement. Only thing I would add would be a bit of flax based oil. Either a handful of flax sead or one of the comercial ground varieties. Make sure he is getting plenty of copper and biotin.
Also your horse doesnt have good feet. your kinda in denial about that. a crack for 20 years is not normal or acceptable. He needs to have that treated and corrected.

busysmurf 05-15-2013 02:05 PM

Joe, I know, lol. But it's just that one! The others are rock hard, never chip (but he is trimmed regularly), and he's never been lame from a hoof issue. It's been a constant frustration of mine and several farriers over the years.

The supplement is granular, and his feed is primarily pellets, so he just pushes it around until the supplement is on the bottom. If he gets more of a mouthful of the supplement than pellets he just spits it out.

What is the recommended dosage of biotin? He's on 20.45 mg now with no difference
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-15-2013 04:01 PM

If you want to feed for healthier hooves, biotin is only a part of it. Make sure he gets adequate levels of lysine, methionine (essential amino acids), zinc, fatty acids, and sulfur.

~*~anebel~*~ 05-15-2013 04:12 PM

Don't know where you are but I had a similar problem with horses not touching a loose mineral supplement. I feed Equest Silver now and they eat it. It's like $75 a bucket but you don't feed very much (30-45gm/day).

verona1016 05-15-2013 05:39 PM

I'm not entirely clear on what his current diet is- some of the math looks a little wonky (51% protein? :shock:)

What are the brands of the 14% feed, senior feed, and supplement? Are the grains mixed 50/50, or do you feed more of one than the other?

ETA- Another recommendation for FeedXL :-)

deserthorsewoman 05-15-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 2524898)
I'm not entirely clear on what his current diet is- some of the math looks a little wonky (51% protein? :shock:)

What are the brands of the 14% feed, senior feed, and supplement? Are the grains mixed 50/50, or do you feed more of one than the other?

ETA- Another recommendation for FeedXL :-)

I was wondering myself....28% fat....from where???

To get him to eat the supplement moistening the feed helps.

Tell us, as Verona said, the brands of the feeds, please.
The hay, is the weighed 8-10 lbs, is it given for the night, in the stall, or outside with other horses? Does he eat all hay or is something left over?

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2013 07:32 PM

Would you reveal which grain you have him on? As well as specific supplements?