The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Ground Work for the Rider? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/ground-work-rider-193626/)

HorseCourage 05-15-2013 03:05 PM

Ground Work for the Rider?

So i am really almost weak. My upper body and legs could use A LOT of work. I ride a ton, but i need to work my muscles more. I have a strong core, but my arms and lower legs and a little bit of my upper legs are pretty darn weak. :/ any simple exersizes that I can do to help that? ( I can't run per my doctor's orders)

also any stretches I can do to limber up for riding?

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2013 06:06 PM

Umm... anything? Take some soup cans and hold them down by your sides then lift them straight out like airplane wings and hold for 30 second, a minute, 2 minutes, etc. as you get stronger. Then hold them out infront of you like you are doing the mummy walk for 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.

Knee-Pushups really strengthen your core. I couldn't even do 1 and now I can do 10.

Situps, planks, crunches.

HorseCourage 05-16-2013 10:29 AM

thanks ! I just have trouble finding easyish things to do that wont hurt my bones ( i have a medical condition) so i cant do the long work outs only the short like 5 or 10 minute ones. :/

DancingArabian 05-16-2013 11:21 AM

The Sparkpeople website has all kinds of very short exercise videos - try there?
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseCourage 05-16-2013 03:44 PM

Thanks I'll try that :) i just can't put a ton of stress on my joints. Like i cant do push ups :(((((

tinyliny 05-16-2013 04:26 PM

Can you stand balanced on one leg? I do a lot of that; like when washing dishes or emptying the dishwaster or ? I stand on one leg as long as I can, then the other. uses many small muscles in the lower leg for balance, and engages core meaningfully.

when you get good, do it with eyes closed.

and stand on one leg, bend down and pick up something off the floor without putting the raised leg down.

to avoid too much stress to the knee, keep the weight going down through the back of your leg and through the HEEL, so keep positioned as far back as you can and still stay balanced.

DancingArabian 05-16-2013 05:14 PM

I will try to remember to link you to some basic ballet ankle-strengthening. Part of the problem is is that riding will put some strain on your lower body joints and so will the exercises to help you strengthen them.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseCourage 05-17-2013 02:55 PM

I push through the pain that riding gives me :/ but I'll try the standing on one leg thing !

Skyseternalangel 05-19-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 2543226)
I push through the pain that riding gives me :/ but I'll try the standing on one leg thing !

What pain is that?

HorseCourage 05-23-2013 02:12 PM

the pain i have comes from many benign bone tumors on most of the joints in my body. It becomes increasingly difficult as i grow to do any sort of activities. Simple walking for long periods (like 5 miles) can put me in pain for 2 weeks. But I've found that the elipticle doesn't hurt too bad, and I also do a lot of crunches, and ab work. also hold my legs up