The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Cockle Burrs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/cockle-burrs-19368/)

IronRoseFarms 12-16-2008 02:54 AM

Cockle Burrs

I'm in need of some help, We have a 12yr old Tenn. Walker on his way and due to some heavy winds night before last we have lost fences in 3 of our 4 pastures. I don't believe I can get the trees cleared and fences mended in time to put our new friend in any of those 3 good clean pastures. The one central point of these three fields was taken out by one huge maple and has taken out about 100 feet in each of three directions. The 4th pasture is our smallest and we have not used it in about 3 years. Previously home to goats the field is now heavy in cockle burrs. The last thing I want to do is spend weeks removing cockle burrs from our new friends mane and tail, especially when I should be fixing the other fences in the cold.

We have tried to delay delivery of the horse but that can not be arranged. So now I am trying to determine how I might be able to remove the burrs from the field? This area is only about 200foot square. I fear if I just mow them down the horse will roll in them anyways...

With the significant damage to the other pasture fences it will likely take me at least two weeks to fix enough to get one field back to usable. and I am now down to 5 days to receipt of our new friend! I need ideas for how to clear the burrs from this small field???

Thanks
James

smrobs 12-16-2008 03:35 AM

I don't think that there is any way to get them all out but maybe if you used a hedge trimmer to cut down the plants and then raked them up to dispose of them. That may get rid of the worst of it. I fear that you may end up with a burr or two in his hair anyway. I don't know if you could keep his tail bagged until you get him moved to the bigger pasture. Cockle burrs are much easier to get out of the mane than the tail. :/ Hope this helps.

county 12-16-2008 07:11 AM

Pull them out and either burn them or haul them out of the pen. Or get a propane torch weed burner and burn them that way.

3neighs 12-16-2008 05:11 PM

Yes, try to pull them out. Cutting them will only get rid of them temporarily as they will just come back next year.

IronRoseFarms 12-16-2008 05:58 PM

Thank you,
I got creative today before the snow started flying... I pulled the plants up (took forever) then made a roller using a empty lawn roller (no water) with some felt cloth I had around wrapped around it and held on with bailing wire. I then rolled the roller through and collected several thousand burrs. Did this six times and the last time I only got a handful. So I think I may have it licked? I'm in hopes anyway!

Thanks again,
James

Appyt 12-17-2008 10:48 AM

Sounds like you have a great start on that field. Next spring be sure you pull them up as you find them. Much easier to pull when they are small. And Burn them as they will reroot if left laying.