The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Can all horses get dapples? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/can-all-horses-get-dapples-193746/)

Dreamcatcher5 05-15-2013 05:54 PM

Can all horses get dapples?

So I'm just wondering (since I'm not exactly SUPER SMART about dapples since I've never owned a dappled horse) if every horse breed can have dapples in it.

Can Standardbreds have dapples? Not like a dapple grey, but like a colour like brown or bay with some darker dapples on the back or under the tail. Because the thing is: when I got my brown gelding, Luca, he was just regular brown, even during summer (he actually turns bay in winter). But today, (it's getting colder and the horses are getting a little bit fluffier) I noticed that on his back he has beautiful, darker brown dapples. His back is currently a bit lighter brown than the rest of his body because his winter coat is slowly growing and the dapples are a bit darker than the rest of his body and melting into the rest of his coat. I never knew he had dapples! I don't have a picture of his dapples but here's one of him what he normally looks like. Just imagine his back a little bit lighter on the top and some darker dapples on his back.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3c245031.jpg
Is this normal among Standardbreds? He's 6 years old, by the way.

texasgal 05-15-2013 05:55 PM

Yes .. pretty much.

SketchyHorse 05-15-2013 06:04 PM

I was always told that dapples meant the horse was in excellent shape getting good nutrition. My palomino QH always starts showing them later in the summer & sometimes my bay QH will as well. The STB I train also gets them :D I always thought it was more color related. Like my Arab is a bay but a more copper penny type & I don't think she's ever had them.

Dreamcatcher5 05-15-2013 06:10 PM

SketchyHorse: I always thought that too.
In Summer, Luca gets dapples under his tail, but those are lighter coloured dapples, and the one on his back now are darker coloured.

rexing93 05-15-2013 08:34 PM

I wish I could help you, but I'm with SketchyHorse--I've heard they're caused by good nutrition and in excellent condition, however I'm not too terribly sure. I haven't looked into it.

I do want to say that your boy is absolutely handsome though, too. It could because I adore Standardbreds, but I doubt that's the cause(;

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgal (Post 2524514)
Yes .. pretty much.

So my paint could get dapples?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 05-15-2013 08:59 PM

yep, sky.

aforred 05-15-2013 10:14 PM

Dapples can appear differently on different parts of the horse. I have a 14 year old mare that had never had them before, but she has them now.

HeroMyOttb 05-15-2013 10:20 PM

I was actually wondering that same question as well. I've owned My TB for four years and have never saw him have dapples, until this summer.

That makes me wonder about the whole - horses get dapples because they are in excellent condition and are getting good nutrition, because my TB was such a hard keeper and I could never get him to not be underweight. Until this past winter he put on a lot of weight, and when he started to shed out I noticed the dapples as he is still holding on weight, has a shiny coat, and his energy level has sky rocketed.

aforred 05-15-2013 10:24 PM

I understand so much more about feeding now, especially the importance of fatty acids, that my program is totally different!