The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Good lines? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/good-lines-193858/)

SidMit 05-15-2013 10:03 PM

Good lines?

Hello QH peeps! I have two QH mares and I was wondering if you could tell me if they have good "lines" or not? I do not show and you can't ride papers, but I love history and to me this is History.

My mare is Holis Dun In Stripes

My newest little mare is Miss Coy Cameo who may or may not be bred to Bleau Onyx. I did not breed her, she came to me that way. So I might as well know a bit about her.

Would love to hear from some of you if either of these mares have a good history.

Thanks!

SidMit 05-16-2013 01:27 PM

Links on allbreed. Any opinions would be fantastic! :)

Here are the links, Sorry I forgot them in the first post. I would love to know more about my mares, any help would be great!

Holis Dun In Stripes Quarter Horse

Miss Coy Cameo Quarter Horse

Nokotaheaven 05-18-2013 03:23 AM

They both have good lines :)
Although Holis Dun In Stripes is quite inbred with Doc Bar from the looks of it

Debken 06-06-2013 09:23 PM

Three Bars

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 2550066)
They both have good lines :)
Although Holis Dun In Stripes is quite inbred with Doc Bar from the looks of it

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Miss Coy Cameo is a foundation quarter horse and her blood lines can be traced back to 1660.
Three Bars passes down great whither s and spunk plus conformation.
Hope this helps

Nokotaheaven 06-06-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debken (Post 2727770)
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Miss Coy Cameo is a foundation quarter horse and her blood lines can be traced back to 1660.
Three Bars passes down great whither s and spunk plus conformation.
Hope this helps

I didn't think I did.... Sometimes it can be good, but it can also lead to things such as genetic defects, so overall (personally) I do my best to steer clear of inbreeding.

smrobs 06-06-2013 11:56 PM

I'd say yes on both of them. They both go back to some really good performance/all-around lines.

When you're looking at their pedigree on allbreed, you can go into their ancestors and look up the information on them...what they won, what they excelled in, etc.

For example, on Hotrod Holi, the sire of your first mare, this is what comes up.
Quote:

Color: dun
Height: 14.3H

AQHA-3361271

84% NFQHA
AQHA/NFQHA/ABRA Registered
AQHA ROM Reining
1999 ABRA World Champion Open Reiner
1999 NRHA Futurity Limited Open 9th Place
1999 SWRH Futurity Limited Open 2nd Place
AQHA World Show Qualifier
NRHA Money Earner
Standing at Airlie Farm in Monmouth, Oregon

JCnGrace 06-07-2013 02:11 AM

SidMit, if you ever run across them you ought to pick up the Western Horseman Legend series. They profile different quarter horse stallions and mares who have done well with their show careers or had a big impact in the quarter horse breed.

I don't have all of them and I'm not even sure the total number of books they have but I have 1-5, 7. Just looking at your pedigrees without going further back I'll give you the ones that were profiled in the books I have.

Holis Dun In Stripes:
Doc Bar
Hollywood Gold
Poco Tivio
Poco Bueno
King
Lightening Bar

Miss Coy Cameo:
Sonny Dee Bar
Quincy Dan
Custus Rastus
Leo San
Jaguar (In his section there's also a picture of Coys Bonanza and a paragraph about him)
Mr. Bar None
Joe Reed II

I have always found it interesting to read about some of my horse's ancestors and more than once I've seen a picture of one and thought there's where he/she got their conformation from or read about a personality trait that matched mine.

QtrBel 06-07-2013 03:05 PM

I'd have the Dun It mare tested to see if she carries HERDA seeing she goes back to Poco Bueno. Considering she goes back to Doc Bar several times I'd be surprised if she didn't show talent for cutting. I'm not as familiar with the lines on the Cameo Mare but do recognize Joe Reed and Leo which she goes back to.

SidMit 06-19-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtrBel (Post 2734690)
I'd have the Dun It mare tested to see if she carries HERDA seeing she goes back to Poco Bueno. Considering she goes back to Doc Bar several times I'd be surprised if she didn't show talent for cutting. I'm not as familiar with the lines on the Cameo Mare but do recognize Joe Reed and Leo which she goes back to.

Hello, what is HERDA? Thanks for all the info everyone!

luv2ride 06-19-2013 09:18 PM

Your miss coy cameo is a beautiful mare. I saw her in April. I was there when she was bred to Belau onyx. Small world, the lady you got her from is one of my best friends. Know her for over 20 years!