The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from Washington (state)! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-washington-state-193930/)

Anatopism 05-15-2013 10:04 PM

Hello from Washington (state)!

Hello all :) Figured since I am an avid forum-goer for my other hobbies/interests, and I've been in love with horses since as long as I've been a conscious human, it was time to join one for horses as well. I'm located in Olympia, WA, and for the first time in my life, horse ownership has started to look like an achievable goal for my future. I'm 24, have a good stable job, and am saving to buy a house, which I hope to follow with the goal of owning my own horse. In the meantime, I'll be researching rather than just daydreaming, and have been looking into local 'clubs' and barns that have lessons or the option to pay per ride, somebody I can learn from on proper upkeep/husbandry, and later leasing options.

My grandparents had horses when I was an infant/child, and my mother took my riding before I was really conscious of what horses were. I think this has contributed to my fascination and bond I feel with many horses I've encountered throughout my life, but I've never truly had much experience working with them (riding experiences speckled every couple years or so, sporadically, but not a consistent habit/event). It's been years since I've done any real riding. I rode a friend's horse bareback a few months ago, but as they had no saddle or proper equipment for her, I mostly ended up just sitting on her for a while as she walked around her pasture, getting used to me and I her. They've since rehomed her, as they realized they weren't fully prepared for her care.

I feel confident around horses, and I have memories from when I was younger of working with a couple "problem" horses that behaved well for me. So.. I guess I feel plenty comfortable around horses (a cautious respect, but not fearful)... I know how to move and behave with them, but have no formal training, and honestly, reading lots of the posts here, I'm aware (just as with any hobby/interest/niche) that horses come with a lot of specific vocabulary that I need to brush up on and learn. :)

I can tell already that this is a great community with lots of knowledge, and I'll be sure to pick your brains and absorb as much as possble (and use the search function)!

- Brit

Honeysuga 05-15-2013 10:08 PM

Hello and welcome!

Its good to hear you are working toward your dreams! Horse ownership is amazing. It is not all sunshine and buttercups, but if you come into it educated and with the will and support you need, I think you will be a very happy person.

tinyliny 05-15-2013 10:52 PM

Hello Ana (is that your name?)

I am also a "mossback". I live in Bellevue. I am 55 and still have never owned a horse. It has not been financially possible for me until very recently, and may happen before I get to be too old, but in the meantime, I part lease a horse, so have the joy of being able to ride regularly without the full financial committment. This has worked out well for both myself (as I raised my sons) and for the horse owners. I have been as helpful as possible in many ways, such as being there for the farrier, vet, dentist, walking a horse through colics, doing a ton of grooming and checking on the horse regularly when owner was out of town, keeping them in good fitness and keeping their manners honed, and simply loving on them and giving them silly , useless treats.
It has been a very good experience for me , and over the last 15 years I have part leased some 8 different horses, so have learned a lot from each one of them. I encourage you to consider this as a possible stepping stone.

BTW, my in-laws live in Olympia, so I go there often. I adore Olympia! when is the parade of the species? I don't want to miss it this year.

GamingGrrl 05-15-2013 11:24 PM

I'm from Olympia too!

^ Procession of the Species was just last month, :-( looks like you missed it, but I believe they have two Procession events a year?
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 05-15-2013 11:36 PM

crum! I thought it was in June. Oh well, next year . . .

Anatopism 05-16-2013 12:13 AM

Thanks for the welcomes :D Name is Brittany/Brit!