The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Then and Now Confo critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/then-now-confo-critique-193970/)

ArabianGrace 05-15-2013 11:40 PM

Then and Now Confo critique

3 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think of my boys confo inprovement? Last year in May right after i got him at 2 years and now in May at 3 years. I plan on doing pleasure carting with him and possible in-hand shows and in-hand jumping. All low level.

tinyliny 05-15-2013 11:44 PM

He looks so much more healthy and filled out. is he shaved down to his knees?

Are minis judged on their confo exactly the same as full size horses?

ArabianGrace 05-15-2013 11:53 PM

He's so much heathier now. No more worms or fungun. and yes he's clipped to his knees. and I think so lol

tinyliny 05-16-2013 12:07 AM

What's his personality like?

I don't get to interact with minis much. there is a lady who has a mini mare next to our barn, and she takes her out in a cart on the trails! sometimes the trail is barely wide enough for both cart wheels. We are all terrified to meet her face to face on the trails becuase our horses are so scared of the mini + cart that they go bonkers with fear. I had an encounter with her the other day, but luckily there was a side branching trail I could take Z off onto. He was a milimeter from bolting off with me. I had to disengage, allow him to go forward, then disengage him , over and over until he was willing to just walk foward without shaking with fear and being out of his gourd!

existentialpony 05-16-2013 01:02 AM

To my eye, his neck and topline are worlds better!

Endiku 05-18-2013 05:58 PM

N'aww, he's growing into such a nice young boy!

Over at the knees a bit, slightly long neck that may be just slightly ewed as a comformational, not musculature, fault (nothing drastic. Looks WAAAAAY better than last year!). His head is a bit bulky and he looks like he might be a little clubby on that left rear foot. All in all though I think he's turned into a VERY nice looking boy and he'll be gorgeous under cart. When are you planning to have someone start him?

Its funny because his conformation both as a two and three year old is SO much like Sours. She had a ridiculous ewe neck as a one and two year old, a bit of one as a three year old, and none whatsoever as a four or five year old. Same head shape, same hip and shoulder....almost the same color all shedded out (or clipped) too. How tall is he? Wouldn't they make the CUTEST driving team? xD

ArabianGrace 05-18-2013 07:00 PM

His personalty is great for carting. Loves to work and doesn't spook at much.

Thanks. i figured he was a bit over at the knees. I'm glad his neck isn't as ewey though. he was an ugly thing when he came home lol and No club feet, probably the angle. and I'm training him my self. Learning together. So far we've come ALONG way. He ground drives like a dream and pulls things with out spooking at things behind him. Taking it slow. Him and Sour would be so cute together!

Endiku 05-18-2013 09:17 PM

You might want to look into at least lessons for yourself, then. I was just like you, sort of 'learning as I went' up until the point of actually attaching Sour to the cart, then I realized that I really ought to get help learning how to use my aids properly and not wave my whip around like an idiot xD so while I was still gound driving Sour I started taking some cart driving lessons with one of my instructors shetlands, and when she felt confident that I had it down pretty well she let me help her start Sour to the cart. She did the first few initial rides just to make sure Sour never blew up (she didn't, and still hasn't. good girl, fingers crossed!) then let me tag along and eventually let me do the schooling myself in an enclosed area with her instructing me much like in a riding lesson. I took those lessons for 5 months until she moved away, and I'm SO glad that I did. Driving is so much harder to do correctly than I thought it would be!