The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Post Trot questions. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/post-trot-questions-193986/)

rexing93 05-16-2013 01:16 AM

Post Trot questions.

Alright, new rider here...again. I have questions concerning the post trot this time though.

I recently saw a 10 secondish long clip of me posting trot--and of course since I'm a new rider (going to my fourth ever lesson tomorrow), it isn't going to be the most elegant/perfect thing ever. Also in the clip my mount decided to be a bit sluggish. By that I mean my instructor had just handed me a crop as she couldn't even get my ever so stubborn/lazy mount to go...luckily after a very light tap she picked her speed up. ANYWAYS, enough about my "abuse" (I felt horrible for even having to use the crop XD)...for the post trot I honestly felt that I was posting too "high up". It wasn't like I was standing straight up in the saddle, but it was a bit higher than what it needs (I thought your hind end was supposed to ever so lightly pop out of the saddle?)...

My question is...
Since I'm new to English (haven't had much riding experience regardless), what can I do to fix the "too high" post trot?

Of course I'll be having a conversation with my instructor tomorrow to see if I'm going crazy or if this is something I need to work on (and of course if it is something I need to work on she isn't going to ignore it, I'm sure).

I'm at loss at what could cause this as I've looked in books/online to no avail. Quite frankly, I'm stumped and surely I'm not the only person that has/had this problem. And yes, although I'll be having a conversation with my instructor I'd still like some advice before I go to my lesson tomorrow as I'm one to mentally prepare myself.

Obviously you guys haven't seen the clip, nor can I upload it at the moment to show (nor would I want to...it wasn't as smooth as I had hoped), but in general--what are some causes that may be the reason for posting a bit higher than desired?

Sorry if none of this makes sense...I feel like falling over and taking a nap at the moment. XD
Thank you in advance as well!

Skyseternalangel 05-16-2013 01:31 AM

Do you feel brave enough to post the video?

Sometimes instructors tell their students to physically stand to start to post... and that is wrong... and then your butt would be completely out of the saddle for a stride.

Sometimes too short of stirrups can make you rise too high.. or if you are using your tippy toes to post.. again WRONG.

Sometimes it's just all in your head. Sometimes you just have to think more of a diagonal post with your pelvis travelling towards your hands instad of just directly up. And you could be doing fine.

Does that make sense to you?

Golden Horse 05-16-2013 01:36 AM

Worrying about nailing the rising/posting trot are universal believe me, so relax, it takes a while to master.

First for me is taking the Mary Wanless, visualisations, and think first of tallness, a spring attached to the top of your head gently stretching you up, while weights on your heels draw your leg down.

Now while you are tall, you want to rise, but it is NOT an up and down motion, your head spring is not pulling you UP. Now you need a piece of elastic tied to your belt buckle, going away from you at a 45* angle, so you think of rising from there, practice this at a walk first, just getting the feeling of gentle movement. Then try at the trot, weight sinking in your heels, sitting tall and relaxed and rising from your belt buckle, all you need to do is clear the saddle, you don't have to get acres of fresh air between you.

You also can't possibly learn to rise in a good rhythm without your horse going forward in a good 1 2 1 2 trot, so a whip is very very handy, not abusive, it saves a lot of nagging and pushing on the horse.

This approach works for me, but there are others, best of luck

tinyliny 05-16-2013 01:43 AM

If the horse is not moving with much energy, the rider ends up working a lot harder, often times. This might be part of the reason you are popping up too much. Good that you are aware of it. Give yourself some time to sort these things out. It takes time to get used to posting. soon you'll be able to do it while texting and eating ice cream at the same time.

rexing93 05-16-2013 02:41 AM

Skyseternalangel, it made complete sense actually :p as for the video, I just can't upload it tonight. Perhaps tomorrow morning I can get it to work.

Golden Horse, thank you! I'll keep that in mind tomorrow!

Tinyliny, that actually makes a lot of sense as she was BARELY going (it was at the speed of a quicker walk just with the 2 beats instead of the 4 XD). That could definitely be it because when I got her going at a much quicker pace it felt more..."right", so perhaps it was just because this clip was of her extremely sluggish trot XD

Thank you all!
Posted via Mobile Device

ponypile 05-16-2013 02:59 AM

It takes time to develop a good posting trot. In the mean time, try to think about relaxing your legs so they fall on the sides of the horse, not using them to push you up. Then let the horse's movement push you up. Like getting double bounced on a trampoline. It's tough on a horse that is sluggish and just plodding along, so tell the horse to liven up with you leg and a tap from the whip if you have to, and then let to movement make you post. Not post for the movement.

rexing93 05-16-2013 01:18 PM

Thank you, ponypile! I do think she was just barely going that was the cause for the unusual post because when she did get up and moving it felt much more "natural", if that makes sense.
Thank you for the input though! I do appreciate it!

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know what the "double post trot" thing is? I heard two separate things about it so I'm a bit unsure of what it's actually used for.
I thought you did the "double post" (down, down, up--then resume your normal posting) was used to get you back on the correct diagonal however I read that others use it as an exercise? Perhaps it's both?
Anyone have any knowledge about that? XD

Golden Horse 05-16-2013 04:22 PM

Double posting, only needed to put you back on the right diagonal, it is a good exercise for kids, and anyone else to help you with feeling the right diagonal.

Also it happens to me when I am tired, being horribly unfit I find myself double posting:oops:

Finalcanter 05-17-2013 06:11 PM

I just 'got' the posting trot and how to keep the horse moving last week; but my main instructor never taught me about diagonals. I learned that for one day with a different instructor. :/

Corporal 05-17-2013 06:42 PM

Don't worry about posting too high. Stylistically, this is the fashion for Saddle Seat. For the rest of us, it's really more important that you learn to get your butt off of the saddle in a 1/2 seat every-other-stride and sit in the seat the other every-other-stride.
If you post long enough you will become fatigued and "weighty". This will force your heels down and you won't be able to completely stand in the 1/2 seat.
If your instructor can vary the posting trot to sit-stand-stand and/or sit-sit-stand, OR stand in 1/2 seat, or sit the trot without stirrups you will learn to become weighted and being weighted is what creates the balance when you are riding.
If you are able to practice on a lesson horse for a good hour, I would suggest riding with the stirrup buckle pulled out and the stirrups crossed in front of the pommel at the walk mostly, then sitting the trot.
When I took Hunt Seat Lessons way back in the 1970's, my instructor had us posting 3x on each rein without stirrups. There are MANY such exercises that improve your seat. You cannot however do these exercises on a spooky horse. In the meantime, just be patient with yourself. =D