The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   abscess and horse is lame(even lamer after farrier) (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/abscess-horse-lame-even-lamer-after-194090/)

diat150 05-16-2013 10:05 AM

abscess and horse is lame(even lamer after farrier)

2 Attachment(s)
Hello.

I have an old gelding(20-ish) that had an abscess blow out under his hoof. I have been soaking with epsom salt, putting ickmenthol, and also so thrush remedy and wrapping it up and putting a boot on him. I didnt see where he was getting better so I had the farrier out to look at it and trim his hooves. Now he is even more lame than he was before. he doesnt want to put any weight on the hoof even with the boot on. Should I get a vet involved or should I just wait it out? This has been going on about 2 weeks now. The farrier came tuesday. Here is what his hoof looks like now.

spirit88 05-16-2013 01:26 PM

Looks like your horse has trush that isn't a healthy looking hoof. Id be treating for thrush that can cause lameness.

Yes id call the vet or even the farrier too sense your horse is worse after he did him at least let him know.

nvr2many 05-16-2013 01:32 PM

My mare had an abscess, came out the white line a bit but she didn't get better. Then one day it blew out the coronary band and she was on the mend. Sooooooooo, maybe it needs to really blow and has not done so yet.

diat150 05-16-2013 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
he is putting a little more weight on it today. I wasnt able to get a picture of his other front hoof because he wouldnt put weight on the one I snapped pictures of. Today he was a little better so I snapped pics of the other hoof. this one actually worries me more. he had a big abscess and what looks like seedy toe. I am waiting for the vet to give me a call, just not sure what they will be able to do. good thing is I got both hooves in boots now so he is walking a little better.

loosie 05-17-2013 07:22 AM

Are those feet as flat & shallow soled as they look?? While it looks like where the farrier dug is probably in front of the tip of P3, it is close & deep(compared to likely sole depth there) & appears he may have also rasped there too? Could be there's a lot more going on than just an abscess, and that digging in the sole may have done(often does) more harm than good. What did he find there BTW?

The other hoof also appears flat, quite stretched - the toe should end about where the seedy hole starts, looking at the sole angle - and that seedy looks serious. If you would like more info/opinions, send some more pix & info - see the link below in my signature for tips on critique pix.

Trinity3205 05-17-2013 02:52 PM

yep, you've got massive toe flare/distortion there causing thin flat soles and the seedy toe. Those measurements are inches.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...distortion.jpg