The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   devils claw (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/devils-claw-1942/)

Annabel 05-20-2007 05:33 AM

devils claw

hi, my gran has a pony, 19 yrs, who is very stiff. she struggles to walk and looks as if she's in a bit of pain. we give her this stuff called "founderguard" which helps her alot and after about 1/2 hr she loosens up, but i was going through my horse herbal book and found this herb called 'devils claw'! sounds scary i know! this is what it said,

' Anti-inflammatory, usefull for treating joint diseases and arthritis. also helpful for rehablilitating horses who suffered tendon or ligament damage in the past. the pain releaving effects of devil claw is so effective however that you must take care that it does not mask a more serious problem.'

we think that she (sparkie) may have either early arthritis or serious founder. when shes really bad we give her pain killers (bute) and her feet are clipped every 3 months and shes checked regulary by the vet.

do you think the devils claw herb will help? or do you have any other idea? greatly appriciated as she's getting really very bad.

hsharp123 05-20-2007 07:34 AM

Poeple often use devils claw as a bute substitute (no bute its called) and many rave about the stuff....

For my old boy it didnt do anything but i definately think it effects horses differently so it would def be worth a try! It ceratinly cant hurt eh??

Elz x

DesertGal 05-20-2007 03:38 PM

I gave a gelding I once had devils claw and yucca, along with glucasomine condroitin and MSM. It really helped his arthritis. Took about 4 - 6 weeks for the help to show up, but he went from dead lame, to doing a small amount of trotting in his corral. :D

kristy 05-20-2007 06:58 PM

Why are her feet being trimmed every 3 months rather then every 6-8 weeks? A hoof angled incorrectly can cause a lot of stress on her joints.

I recommend Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin, Hyaluronic Acid and/or MSM.

Annabel 05-25-2007 07:54 PM

he feet are only being trimmed every 3 months because the ground is hard and dry in the cold, and when we trimmed her every 6-8weeks the farrier said her feet were being rubbed raw. if u think i should, i could get another opinion?

tumai 05-26-2007 02:56 AM

:) Hi there, I am not putting Devils Claw down but I have been down that road with our Quarter Horse Mare Chinita Pine as she has some arthritis from a lucrative career doing barrels and noticed no change and then started to feed glucosamine with msm and almost immediatly noticed a change in the way she goes. She is rising 16 this year. :) Sometimes the reason why you think she may be having Laminitis or founder needs to be adressed rather than masking the pain. You sound like you really care for your Grans pony so keep going back to your vet....they expect good money so ask the big questions.