The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Predictions, Economy will Nose Dive (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/predictions-economy-will-nose-dive-194210/)

Saddlebag 05-16-2013 12:56 PM

Predictions, Economy will Nose Dive

This is the prediction that in 2013 the stockmarket will be in the tank again and unemployment may reach 50%. This is the third rise and fall since 2008 and since it has peaked, it will only go downward. I feel for those who lose their homes and jobs with families to care for.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-16-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2532682)
This is the prediction that in 2013 the stockmarket will be in the tank again and unemployment may reach 50%. This is the third rise and fall since 2008 and since it has peaked, it will only go downward. I feel for those who lose their homes and jobs with families to care for.

Who's making that prediction? Article? Links?

wetrain17 05-16-2013 04:23 PM

I would like to see the source on this as well. If the unemployment rate rose to 50% we would easily have an uprising and civil war on our hands.

nvr2many 05-16-2013 04:24 PM

Agreed^^

boots 05-19-2013 01:01 PM

While I also expect another economic downward trend this year (based on trending over the past few, some recent regulatory changes for businesses, and my natural tendency to worry), I am not expecting anything quite so dire as you suggest.

I am over all optimistic about the resiliency and creative abilities of both business leaders and entrepreneurs. That said, I have increased my own skill set to be able to move to a couple different careers should things go badly in the industry in which I currently work.

Joe4d 05-19-2013 06:40 PM

so what do we short ? GM and Dodge again ? I made a killing buying Ford when GM and Dodge were setting in Congress with their hands out. Played conservative and sold at only 600% gain.

SouthernTrails 05-19-2013 07:48 PM

I do not see anything Tanking, the Stockmarket may drop some, but it is not an indication of true Economic indication anyway... some will disagree, but if the stockmarket was a true indication, then 20 mill who lost their home, life savings and a great job would have them back since the market is at it highest level in 10 years:wink:

We are sill losing more jobs per week than we gain, people are still underemployed, Food prices are double for the most part what they were 3-4 years ago. The Average Middle Class person has a net worth down 10% in the last 5 years. Insurance, Taxes, Fuel, entertainment, everything is 10-20% in the last 2 years.

Do I see a new huge crisis?, not really, but I also see it taking 10 years for the average person to get back to a personal finance they need and were used to.

So I guess it is a crisis, it will never get better till Washington gets their greedy, self serving hand out of the cookie jar!
Voters need to wake up and get their heads out of the sand too :wink:

Joe4d 05-19-2013 08:47 PM

i saw the key to the problem every day while working tugs ship docking, chinese container ships coming in laden and leaving empty.
American people are as much to blame as governemtn policies. Sure self serving politicians are destroying out manufacturing base with uncontrolled imports BUT Americans are picking the Made in china items off the shelf. STOP IT. !

tinyliny 05-19-2013 09:21 PM

Around here, we have many, many homes, especially the ones I'd classify as Mansions, being bought up by mainland Chinese millionaires. Sometimes, they just buy sight unseen and they pay cash. They are driving up our real estate market out of the reach of the average citizens, and bringing nothing of any real value , as members of the community, becuase either they buy as an investment and flip, or they send their kids to live in these houses, so they can get US educations, and they dont' ever speak to the neighbors, let alone keep up the yard or interact outside of the family or other Chinese people. IT really grates on my nerves. Maybe it's racist of me to think this way, but it feels like MY country is being sold to the highest foreign bidder, and they have no desire to BE Americans, just suck out the wealth that's here and send it back "home" to the rest of the family.

Sorry, minor rant here.

Faceman 05-20-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2563682)
Around here, we have many, many homes, especially the ones I'd classify as Mansions, being bought up by mainland Chinese millionaires. Sometimes, they just buy sight unseen and they pay cash. They are driving up our real estate market out of the reach of the average citizens, and bringing nothing of any real value , as members of the community, becuase either they buy as an investment and flip, or they send their kids to live in these houses, so they can get US educations, and they dont' ever speak to the neighbors, let alone keep up the yard or interact outside of the family or other Chinese people. IT really grates on my nerves. Maybe it's racist of me to think this way, but it feels like MY country is being sold to the highest foreign bidder, and they have no desire to BE Americans, just suck out the wealth that's here and send it back "home" to the rest of the family.

Sorry, minor rant here.

I hear you.

Buy stock in Uncle Ben's rice...