The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Reason number 1 not to get in the middle of a horse fight! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/reason-number-1-not-get-middle-194250/)

aforred 05-16-2013 02:39 PM

Reason number 1 not to get in the middle of a horse fight!

My mom is an ER doctor in the city, where she gets cases smaller hospitals can't handle. A couple days ago, she had a patient come in that hand a serious hand injury. The woman said she didn't know exactly what happened, just that two horses were fighting and she was reaching for the halter on one of them.

When her injuries were evaluated, this is what they found. Index and middle finger had been bitten off. Ring finger had been degloved, and had to be amputated. Two metacarpals were fractured. Ulna was fractured. Teeth marks more than half way up her elbow.

The point of this thread is to reinforce the idea that horses are bigger and stronger than humans. Do not risk serious injury to yourself to stop two horses from fighting. They can handle it a lot better than you can.

Roadyy 05-16-2013 02:46 PM

Perfect case of Darwinism working. Stupid is suppose to hurt.

AlexS 05-16-2013 02:49 PM

Gosh the poor lady, but what on earth was she thinking!

aforred 05-16-2013 02:54 PM

I'm guessing it was a knee-jerk reaction and there was very little thought involved.

I've separated fighting horses before, but from a distance. I just made them move by cracking my lunge whip, and made them keep moving until I got a fence between them.

Saranda 05-16-2013 02:59 PM

Oh my gosh, that is horrible. I hope she heals as well as possible in her situation.

Although there can be situations when a fight has to be stopped, if possible. At a barn I worked, an unsupervised teenage helper accidentally let a stallion loose in the barn and it went to have a fight with another stallion that was stalled. I ran there when I heard the commotion and the stallions were at a very serious risk of injuring themselves and crashing the stalls. Of course, I didn't go between them, that could have been lethal, but I hosed the attacker off with a strong hose and ice-cold water. And that's the only safe (if you know what you are doing and place yourself in a safe position) way I can think of to stop a fight, if needed... Also, cracking whips or making other sudden, loud noises, as the previous poster suggested.

Muppetgirl 05-16-2013 03:03 PM

It's called redirected aggression......I knew of a lady who was standing beside a water trough in the pasture (or it could've been a feed bin - my memory is cloudy) anyway another horse approached on the opposite side of the lady (so she was between them) and the horse that the lady was standing next to pinned its ears turned and and bit the lady in the stomach and opened her up....she was pretty badly injured...if she hadn't have been in the middle it more than likely would've been the other horse who got bit.:shock:

Roadyy 05-16-2013 03:05 PM

She has my empathy, but still think when pain is added to our stupid choices then it helps remind us not to make those choices again. I have made my share of painful and stupid mistakes so I do not withdraw my name from it.

There are several posters around the GoreWeb saying " If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough". Main one I remember is a guy holding up a Grizzly cub with a momma Grizzly coming in the background.

tinyliny 05-16-2013 03:10 PM

Goreweb? there's a place people go to for the sole reason to view gore? Seriously?
eeeuuuwwwww!

And, I have done that water trough mistake; watered two horses with me in between them, sure that all would be fine. Thank you for reminding me not to be so stupidly trusting.

Muppetgirl 05-16-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2533874)
Goreweb? there's a place people go to for the sole reason to view gore? Seriously?
eeeuuuwwwww!

And, I have done that water trough mistake; watered two horses with me in between them, sure that all would be fine. Thank you for reminding me not to be so stupidly trusting.

Sometimes your best friend is a fence...:lol:

Roadyy 05-16-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2533874)
eeeuuuwwwww!

Now you know everyone agrees with Al Gore that he invented the world wide web so some of us call it GoreWeb. lol