The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mare bred to father? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-bred-father-194274/)

keeper08192012 05-16-2013 04:18 PM

Mare bred to father?

A little while ago I rescued a mare who was pretty skinny. I didn't realize she was pregnant until my vet told me. I questioned the previous owners about it and they said she was with her father for two months straight before I rescued her. I've heard it could have a bad effect on the foal. I don't want a lecture about how this shouldn't have happened, it wasn't my fault. But does anyone have any knowledge about it? it would be helpful.

stevenson 05-16-2013 04:27 PM

It is called InBreeding. Not the ideal. you could have a pretty normal foal. you could end up with a foal that pulled the best of the genetics. You could get a foal that pulls the worst of the genetics. You should google or bing or whatever , inbreeding horses . you will get lots of info look for articles from researchers, and from Vet schools etc.

keeper08192012 05-16-2013 04:30 PM

Okay,thanks

Speed Racer 05-16-2013 04:40 PM

You can always ask your vet about it, as well.

The foal could turn out to be a conformational nightmare with rice pudding for brains, or could be a decently put together, sane individual.

If there are a lot of the same horses in her and her sire's pedigree, you've just upped the odds of the foal having some sort of physical or mental anomaly, but that doesn't mean it WILL have one.

texasgal 05-16-2013 04:50 PM

It wasn't unusual for old time breeders to breed fathers to daughters.. It can bring out any recessive genes, good or bad, but that is true with any breeding if both parents have the same gene.

This also happens in wild horses. Daughters breed back to their sire when they are old enough.

Chances are your baby will be fine.

Speed Racer 05-16-2013 04:52 PM

That mare should be close to foaling, as the OP talked about this back in December and stated the mare was close to 5 months along.

I hope you have everything in place for a foaling, OP. That baby should be just about ready to make its appearance.

keeper08192012 05-16-2013 04:58 PM

I know she and her father don't have the gene. He had really good conformation and had a very sweet temperament. I cant really tell her conformation but she's really sweet also. And yeah she's at or close to 11 months along. She's still skinny, not close to as bad as before but we've had a problem getting her back up to weight

dbarabians 05-16-2013 05:03 PM

OP I have 5 very nice mares that are the result of their dams being bred back to their sire.
I would not worry about it much . Remember the TB is descended from only 3 arabian stallions and the morgan from only one. All purebred animals are inbred to set type.
We breed our bulls back to their own daughters or grand daughters if we skip that generation.
In fact I have a filly that is a foal from two half siblings. this is the 4 th foal from that cross and all have been very correct. Good luck. Shalom

keeper08192012 05-16-2013 05:06 PM

Great, thanks :)

NdAppy 05-16-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeper08192012 (Post 2534282)
I know she and her father don't have the gene. He had really good conformation and had a very sweet temperament. I cant really tell her conformation but she's really sweet also. And yeah she's at or close to 11 months along. She's still skinny, not close to as bad as before but we've had a problem getting her back up to weight

Don't have what gene exactly?

Do you have her on free choice quality hay?