The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   CC Saddle fit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cc-saddle-fit-194410/)

Horseychick94 05-16-2013 08:06 PM

CC Saddle fit?

5 Attachment(s)
This is my Crosby that I have for sale right now and my horse is visibly getting healthier and bulking up more so I decided to put my Crosby on him just for kicks. It fits better than it did before. He isn't entirely fit and is nowhere near as in good shape as he will be once I start riding him more. How is the fit? I don't care whether I sell it or not. Is it worth keeping and does it fit well enough to ride in? It doesn't appear to pinch at all. It is a bit low in the front and the back of the panels don't touch on the outsides (they are HUGE panels)

JustDressageIt 05-16-2013 09:03 PM

Looks like a horrid fit to me. Too low in the front, meaning that as soon as you sit in it, it's going to be riding on the withers. The fact that the panels don't even touch right now is a big no-no to me. It's not sitting even, definitely rocking towards the withers.

Horseychick94 05-16-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 2536554)
Looks like a horrid fit to me. Too low in the front, meaning that as soon as you sit in it, it's going to be riding on the withers. The fact that the panels don't even touch right now is a big no-no to me. It's not sitting even, definitely rocking towards the withers.

Well its for sale anyways! Lol :lol: a lot of saddles rock forwards on him. I think he is a little downhill

Horseychick94 05-16-2013 09:44 PM

ya know, sometimes I wish I didn't love him so much because NOTHING fits him. Any suggestions on saddles for him?

unclearthur 05-17-2013 04:41 AM

It looks like a fairly typical foam/felt CC fit to me, which is not very good. The width looks okay but the balance is pommel-low simply because the panels are the wrong shape for him.

To get this saddle to fit better you'd need a front riser or graduated pad to correct the balance. If you're looking for a new one I'd recommend a flocked panel and someone who knows what they're doing to fit it for you.

Your horse might be slightly croup high (difficult to tell from the pics) but not drastically so that shouldn't cause too many issues for a fitter provided the saddle you buy can be tweaked.

Best of luck :)

Horseychick94 05-17-2013 09:26 AM

The saddle sold last night

Horseychick94 05-19-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 2539634)
It looks like a fairly typical foam/felt CC fit to me, which is not very good. The width looks okay but the balance is pommel-low simply because the panels are the wrong shape for him.

To get this saddle to fit better you'd need a front riser or graduated pad to correct the balance. If you're looking for a new one I'd recommend a flocked panel and someone who knows what they're doing to fit it for you.

Your horse might be slightly croup high (difficult to tell from the pics) but not drastically so that shouldn't cause too many issues for a fitter provided the saddle you buy can be tweaked.

Best of luck :)

Do you think it would be ok with a riser? The buyer backed out of the sale

unclearthur 05-20-2013 05:49 AM

Is there anyone you can borrow one from to try before you buy?

Otherwise, I usually advise to fold up a towel so it's about 1.5 inches thick and put it over the withers, on top of your saddlecloth, but behind the shoulder (not pulled forward so it sits on the back of the shoulderblade). Then check if the level is better before you ride on it - the pommel should sit slightly lower than the cantle.

If it seems to work okay you can fiddle with the folds - you sometimes end up with a gap at the base of the withers using this method but if so that should be easy to fill by extending the towel back further at half its thickness, or whatever you need.

With this type of problem you often need to experiment a little to find out what works best. And it's handy to have someone else check how tight the saddle is at the front (behind the tree points) and mid-panel while you're on board.

Hope that works :)

Horseychick94 05-20-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 2566161)
Is there anyone you can borrow one from to try before you buy?

Otherwise, I usually advise to fold up a towel so it's about 1.5 inches thick and put it over the withers, on top of your saddlecloth, but behind the shoulder (not pulled forward so it sits on the back of the shoulderblade). Then check if the level is better before you ride on it - the pommel should sit slightly lower than the cantle.

If it seems to work okay you can fiddle with the folds - you sometimes end up with a gap at the base of the withers using this method but if so that should be easy to fill by extending the towel back further at half its thickness, or whatever you need.

With this type of problem you often need to experiment a little to find out what works best. And it's handy to have someone else check how tight the saddle is at the front (behind the tree points) and mid-panel while you're on board.

Hope that works :)

Thanks!!!