The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Barefoot Horse - Need Opinions! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/barefoot-horse-need-opinions-194490/)

schoene 05-16-2013 09:26 PM

Barefoot Horse - Need Opinions!

9 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!

I have a 17 year old appendix quarter horse that we took barefoot in December with absolutely no preparation (the vet pulled his shoes because he was lame and we just left them off) but have been having some problems in the meantime.

He has done hunters and jumpers his whole life and has always worn front shoes. Two years ago we semi-retired him to just walk-trot-canter work so he is not working very hard (which is why we didn't think much of taking off his shoes). There are no ferriers in the area that specialize in barefoot cutting (I'm from Southwest Michigan) and there are probably a lot of things that are being done incorrectly! In the last month, he has turned up lame again - it is pretty minor but I am concerned that it could be related to the cut or care of his hooves. To me, it looks as if his heels are too low and his front left is more shallow than his right (his right hoof is naturally smaller though). I worry that with the incorrect cut it could affect his tendons. I'd rather not put the shoes back on but ultimately I want to do what is best for him. I have attached some photos of his hooves - please let me know what you think and any advice is GREATLY appreciated - I know very little about the subject. We never had any problems with soundness when he had shoes on.

Also, the photo's are poor quality - they are dirty and the white line on them is just a glare - his hooves (when clean) are solid black.

Oldhorselady 05-16-2013 09:30 PM

I will let the professionals reply here to help you....but to start....under-run heels (that's why they look low), flare, stretched white line, toe needs to be taken back and heels.....???

Phly 05-16-2013 09:34 PM

Where abouts in south west Michigan? I know some people that do farrier work here that will go there. Costs a lil for the drive though. I also hear there's a dang good barefoot guy in, I think, Edwardsburg. I've never used him but have heard good things.

I will say some work needs to be done there. Looks like lazy pasture trims catching up.
Posted via Mobile Device

schoene 05-16-2013 09:39 PM

We are located near St. Joseph, so Edwardsburg is not unreasonable - could you send me the names? I would love to speak with them! Thank you!

Kayella 05-16-2013 09:41 PM

Which foot is he lame on? Both? I'm thinking his left? He could be lame because of the large crack on his heel. It also looks like he has contracted heels which can make them ouchy. How does he live? 24/7 pasture?
Posted via Mobile Device

schoene 05-16-2013 09:49 PM

It appears to be his right - which is the same foot that he was lame on in December when we pulled the shoes. We injected that hoof with thrush medication back in December and he was fine after that (other than sore feet from having his shoes pulled). He is out to pasture from 7am-5pm and in a large stall with a private run overnight (he's pretty spoiled). We try to give him a good flat ride almost every day, as well, though he is pretty chubby right now from the spring grass and being off.

Kayella 05-16-2013 09:54 PM

I'd bet he has thrush in those heel cracks again, though i could be wrong. Have you treated him for thrush since the last time? How long did you treat it last time?
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 05-16-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoene (Post 2537242)
We are located near St. Joseph, so Edwardsburg is not unreasonable - could you send me the names? I would love to speak with them! Thank you!

The guy that I think is in Edwardsburg has a listing online somewhere. Older fella I believe. The others I will talk to and show them your pics, if that's ok, and if they want to I'll put y'all intouch with each other. I won't just give out #'s over the interweb. Will be a few days at least. But I will suggest you look at Craigslist. As I know a few have posted their services on there before. South bend area and NW Indiana.
Posted via Mobile Device

schoene 05-16-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2537490)
The guy that I think is in Edwardsburg has a listing online somewhere. Older fella I believe. The others I will talk to and show them your pics, if that's ok, and if they want to I'll put y'all intouch with each other. I won't just give out #'s over the interweb. Will be a few days at least. But I will suggest you look at Craigslist. As I know a few have posted their services on there before. South bend area and NW Indiana.
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't been able to find the guy in Edwardsburg but I will keep looking. I would greatly appreciate it if you would forward the link to my question to the farrier's you know!

deserthorsewoman 05-17-2013 02:14 AM

I dire need of a good trim. Who is doing him now? You have a farrier? If you're interested in keeping him barefoot, go to Bare Foot Horse and start reading. Its a very uncomplicated, down to earth, easy to understand read. Go to " white line strategy" and "do trim", it will tell you why he is off and what to do about it.
Even if you'd prefer a trimmer do him, this site will help you with what to look for in a trim, and make educated decisions( and conversation;-))