The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Making a nylon halter...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/making-nylon-halter-19454/)

Wallaby 12-17-2008 06:11 PM

Making a nylon halter...?

Can it be done? Has anyone tried? I've been searching for a light green halter for Lacy's christmas present and I just can't find one that's cheap and attractive and the right color and made of nylon.
What kind of material should I use? Nylon obviously, but the fabric store doesn't have the kind I'm used to seeing halters be made out of... Would double thickness ripstop nylon be ok? Maybe with suede as the layer closest to the face for snuggley value? :lol:
Any ideas about where to find the rings and clips and such?

Edit: Is nylon webbing what's usually used??

Vidaloco 12-17-2008 06:18 PM

I've bought material from U Braid It u-braid-it . Braiding Supply Co. quality braiding materials for horse tack their a good company. Its going to be more expensive than buying one but you will have the satisfaction of making it yourself.

upnover 12-17-2008 08:31 PM

I've made rope halters before. Once you get some of the knots down it's not too complicated. I've heard the best material for a rope halter is rope from a boating supply store. As far as a regular flat nylon halter? Getting the right buckles/rings might be hard.

Wallaby 12-17-2008 09:14 PM

Thanks!
Once I figured out that it was nylon webbing I was able to find most of the rings and the buckle. The only things I wasn't able to find were the squarish cheek ring thingys but I could probably use o-rings for that right?

Vidaloco 12-18-2008 10:40 AM

I'm sure an O-ring could be used for the sides. Just FYI U-braid it has the halter squares in the $1-2 range so they are pretty cheap. Of course there would be shipping with that too :?

Dumas'_Grrrl 12-19-2008 10:16 AM

Though this is not something that I would attempt to create myself, (read: lack of skill :D) I would love to see a picture of your finished halter!!!!!

JustDressageIt 12-19-2008 09:01 PM

Check your local tack shop for those square rings.. I know my tack shop carries them. Would love to see pictures!

Zab 12-23-2008 03:40 PM

Why not just buy a really cheap 4 dollars halter, slaughter it and steal the buckles and rings? ;) You could find the right meassurements and so on that way too.

Wallaby 12-23-2008 08:48 PM

That is an excellent idea! I actually know where I can find one for free...heeheehee. I was actually going to use her current halter for the measurements since it fits her pretty well, I just don't like the color. ;)

kershkova 12-23-2008 09:11 PM

In stead of making one you can get fleece and cut in to fit a stap on the halter and sew it on it can be done.