The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Easy Way To Learn How To Post? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/easy-way-learn-how-post-194554/)

Thrill Ride 05-16-2013 10:45 PM

Easy Way To Learn How To Post?

I'm showing english pleasure/equitation this year because there are only 6 people in english and 30 in western; whichever one you score higher in is what they take as your "pleasure points" but they don't combine.

I show really small local shows, like 5 people to a pleasure class if even that.

One of the things I am trying to learn is how to post, I know what it is and what leg you are supposed to be on but I'm having issues with getting on that leg.

Anyone have any tips to learning how to do it?

waresbear 05-16-2013 11:02 PM

When the outside front leg goes forward, you rise up....an old saying..."Rise and fall with the leg to the wall". Good Luck.

Brighteyes 05-16-2013 11:11 PM

Sit trot. Extend the trot until it's bumpy. When you feel thrown up, rise. Then sit. Repeat. Let the horse throw you up. Soon you'll find the rhythm. :wink:

verona1016 05-26-2013 12:40 AM

In addition to what others have said, be careful not to post off the stirrups. It's very hard to unlearn if you let it become a habit :-)

freia 05-26-2013 01:01 AM

You use the horse's momentum. It should not be forced. You're not rising and falling way out of the saddle. The horse pushes you up, then you just flex your muscles a little bit to stay up for a step, then fall gently down . You don't slam into the horse. When coming down, your movement matches the horse's so that you just gently land, only to be pushed up again by the horse. It should not be tense. Relax. Let the horse do the work for you.

Ian McDonald 05-26-2013 11:38 AM

To simplify, I think of it like tapping your foot to music or air-drumming to a song. Tough to keep the beat if one over-thinks it, but easy when you 'feel' your way into it.

horsea 06-03-2013 10:12 AM

Another thing that helped me was to count "one-two-one-two-one-two..." out loud and rise on one beat. It helped me find a steady rhythm. Even now I do it sometimes when I work with an overly excited or young horse. Hope it helps :)

jinxremoving 06-03-2013 10:40 AM

A little late to this thread, but take a look at this video:

I always post that when someone asks about posting or finding the right diagonal. Now, the rider isn't the best but because they slowed down the video it makes it very informative for a new rider to watch. Just remember to rise and fall with the wall! When you go across the diagonal to sit two beats before rising again and that way you will end up on the correct diagonal on the different rein.

... and please, please do not push off the stirrups! That is a huge pet peeve of mine when I see people pushing themselves out of the saddle when posting. You want to let the horses impulsion lift you out of the saddle. Let them do all of the work! :)

Joe4d 06-03-2013 03:39 PM

buy a TN walker.

saddleonline2 06-26-2013 03:13 PM

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it's worth repeating.
I have trouble with hand eye coordination and therefore had a horrible time learning how to post. With a trainer yelling at me, it was frustrating, to say the least!
But I learned a visualization technique that really helped. In a nutshell, here's what I did: I closed my eyes and pictured my horse trotting. Then, with my eyes still closed, I moved my arm back and forth to simulate the motion. As I did that, I said "up, down, up down" to myself and pictured myself posting on the correct diagonal.
It worked -- and once I learned how to post on the correct diagonal, posting itself became easier, too.
Hope this helps.