The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Hows my harness fit? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/hows-my-harness-fit-194562/)

ArabianGrace 05-16-2013 11:46 PM

Hows my harness fit?

8 Attachment(s)
Anything that needs adjusted on my harness?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 05-17-2013 12:29 AM

I don't have a comment on fit but, your periwinkle blue is simply darling!

Taffy Clayton 05-17-2013 10:32 AM

It is hard to see, I would like to see a closer photo. I like the breeching height as it is, but if Grace stands square it might be a tad too low, but it looks good so far.
The saddle is where I find it hard to see. It looks a bit too far back, BUT if your pony has a long sloping whither it is correct, I cannot tell, even zooming in. You don't want the saddle sitting on the whithers. Especially a saddle without a tree. If your saddle doesn't have a tree I would strongly recommend a pad. Does you harness have two girths? One to hold the saddle on and one to hold the shaft loops down. If it has two girths they should lay one on top of another. Your holdback straps are connected to the shaft loops so that might be pulling the outer girth back. You want to have the saddle as vertical as possible, but often times that is not possible because of horse size or confirmation.

She looks really cute in blue!!!
I would love to see a closer photo.

ArabianGrace 05-17-2013 03:29 PM

8 Attachment(s)
THanks =) i'll put it back on him and take better pics later. I'll look into getting a pad. and Yes it has two girths. He does have pretty sloping withers and i can't get it to stay any further up.

greentree 05-17-2013 04:34 PM

Do you have the collar and traces?

The crupper should just touch the underside of his tail. I cannot tell if it does, or if it hangs down. I think you have room to shorten it on the turn back.

You may want to attach the buckle end of the holdback to the cart, and leave it there, then you just clip that snap(now clipped to the girth) into the front ring on the breeching. It just makes hooking up a little quicker, because sometimes the holdbacks require several wraps, and there is an art to doing it correctly.

He looks adorable!! Love the blue!

Nancy

ArabianGrace 05-18-2013 08:42 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some better pics.

greentree 05-18-2013 09:11 PM

That looks GOOD!!

Be careful with the nylon, when it gets wet, it stretches! So if you get it sweaty, or it gets rained on, it may need adjusting.

Are those loops above that ring where the holdbacks are snapped? You still need some tugs for the shafts to sit in.

Too cute! Do you have a cart, too?

Nancy

ArabianGrace 05-18-2013 09:31 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Yeah We aren't going to be carting so much that he gets sweaty enough to stretch. and the tugs are there. No cart yet. Saving up for one =)

greentree 05-19-2013 12:09 AM

Too bad you are across the country from me. I have a great source for them, but here in KY!!!

Nancy

Paintlover1965 05-19-2013 12:40 AM

My horse likes a padding on the saddle area with his nylon harness. He also has a portion of harness that goes around the front of his chest too. It may be just a different type of harness as you can have a collar as well. Although, we do use a collar for heavier type pulling for my mare in the wintertime for sleigh riding .