The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Barn Rant -- Crazy owner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/barn-rant-crazy-owner-194602/)

xGirugamesh 05-17-2013 12:12 AM

Barn Rant -- Crazy owner

So I've been boarding my horse at this small little place about five minutes away from my house since October 2012. He has a run 3 or 4 days out of the week and his own stall, and I have a personal locker for all of my feed, tack, and equipment. The arena is on the small side but she added a few inches of sand recently so it's a lot better on his joints now and good for when it gets wet because it isn't as slippery and works him a little bit harder. Best of all, this place is like five minutes away, there are a couple of high schoolers there that I'm friends with now, and board is only 200$ since we do partial care.

With the pros out of the way, I'd like to point out the cons. The owner of the barn is a woman in her thirties. She's an A-type and a micromanager TO THE MAX. She hires only teenage girls, makes them work off of the clock, and is constantly changing their duties so that she doesn't have to pay them more than she wants. She also overcharges for lessons and camps and is in reality an awful teacher.

One of the bad experiences I've had with her is that there was one night where it was below freezing ( not raining) and she had the girl working put all of the horses up. For whatever reason my horse stayed outside BY HIMSELF, even though she had put up the other boarder's horses. I went to speak with the girl about it but she had taken off.

Another time was when my horse was turned out and I went to check his water bucket, and it was BLACK. We complained, and she told us that the water was the boarder's responsibility, even though she clearly stated when we toured the barn with her that the workers would take care of all of the horse's water. So we had to dump out, clean, and refill the bucket because of her hypocrisy.

I heard a rumour that next year she's switching to full care only, and I have NO idea what to do if she does because there are no other stables nearby :c

Phly 05-17-2013 12:33 AM

Just from a totally Internet standpoint, a bucket of water shouldn't go "black" in a day or so. It should be empty. Well unless you use huge buckets. We use apx 100 gallons every third day for 3. Also if you were there to question why your horse wasn't stalled, why didn't you stall your horse?

I don't wanna sound like that ^^^ but its reality.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 05-17-2013 12:35 AM

Does not sound like it's horrible, just not perfect, but I suspect most barns have their flaws.

xGirugamesh 05-17-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2539058)
Just from a totally Internet standpoint, a bucket of water shouldn't go "black" in a day or so. It should be empty. Well unless you use huge buckets. We use apx 100 gallons every third day for 3. Also if you were there to question why your horse wasn't stalled, why didn't you stall your horse?

I don't wanna sound like that ^^^ but its reality.
Posted via Mobile Device

See but that's the thing, they hadn't changed the water at all. And I hadn't been at the stables that night, so when I came in the morning he was alone. I don't want to sound fussy, I just feel like when these things happen the least she could is apologize rather than turning the blame to me when it wasn't even my fault in the first place.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 05-17-2013 01:16 PM

Sorry but I don't see a reason to complain. You have semi-care board and your horses water bucket was dirty? To me semi-care board says you do everything but throw hay and water. So your horse was outside because you didn't put him in. You were there so naturally since you do not pay for full care the girl assumed you would put your own horse in.

I just moved from a barn that had a legitimate crazy barn manager. This is nowhere near crazy.

And water that was black after a day? It happens. I clean stalls at a couple different barns where water buckets are cleaned daily. Some horses keep them clean and some horses wash every bite of hay off in them.

And what do you mean you don't know what you will do if she changes everything to full care board?? It sounds like that is what you need since you already seem to expect it. You suck it up and pay for full board.

Delfina 05-17-2013 01:26 PM

I've seen buckets go black in a day.... when the winds pick up here and howl at 60+mph every last bucket is GROSS!! Seems like every last speck of dirt, dust, dried poop and godonlyknowswhat lands in them.

If you rinse/dump the bucket daily it won't ever really need to be scrubbed. Plus the cleaner the bucket, the more the horse drinks so the less water to be hauled for dumping. Takes me 10mins if that to clean/fill 14 buckets.

mls 05-17-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xGirugamesh (Post 2538970)
With the pros out of the way, I'd like to point out the cons. The owner of the barn is a woman in her thirties. She's an A-type and a micromanager TO THE MAX. She hires only teenage girls, makes them work off of the clock, and is constantly changing their duties so that she doesn't have to pay them more than she wants.

She also overcharges for lessons and camps and is in reality an awful teacher.

What are the farm labor laws in your state? How about worker's comp laws. In MN barns need to carry workers comp. Even for those allow boarders to work off board (full or partial).

As far as over charging - that would be your opinion. It's supply and demand.

xGirugamesh 05-18-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2542754)
Sorry but I don't see a reason to complain. You have semi-care board and your horses water bucket was dirty? To me semi-care board says you do everything but throw hay and water. So your horse was outside because you didn't put him in. You were there so naturally since you do not pay for full care the girl assumed you would put your own horse in.

I just moved from a barn that had a legitimate crazy barn manager. This is nowhere near crazy.

And water that was black after a day? It happens. I clean stalls at a couple different barns where water buckets are cleaned daily. Some horses keep them clean and some horses wash every bite of hay off in them.

And what do you mean you don't know what you will do if she changes everything to full care board?? It sounds like that is what you need since you already seem to expect it. You suck it up and pay for full board.

I provide the hay and grain. She outlined to me that their job was to water, feed in the mornings, and turn my horse in/out if I wasn't there.

I can't afford full care board. So I can't "suck it up". I'd love to do complete self-care if I could make it there in the mornings. It's cheaper too. But whatever. I guess I'm being a bratty little girl.

poppy1356 05-18-2013 07:28 AM

Wait you pay 200 a month and provide the hay? I pay 300 for full pasture board, meaning they do everything and provide the grain and hay. Given I'm not in Texas but still a pretty high price for my area. That seems awfully high for what is provided.

But you answered your problems, you were there and that's why they didn't put your horse in, you are responsible for that. They provided water, you didn't say it was empty? Just the water was dirty, which doesn't take long for a horse to dirty up a water bucket.

Now I can't exactly afford where my horse is now but they only hire boarders to work there. So I only have to work one day a month to bring the cost down.

Iseul 05-18-2013 07:45 AM

O.O I was paying $120 for pasture board that included hay, horses weren't brought in though, so grain was only an option if you were there everyday.

I'm now paying $180 for pasture board (now with a run in lol), hay, and I supply my own grain (I think I'm getting $20 off for supplying it) because I don't feed sweet feed.

Personally, it wouldn't matter if I was there sitting around or sitting with my horse in the field, I'd expect to be asked if I would put my horse away when I was done with it or if I wanted them to do it (because it's their JOB).

I wouldn't worry too much about the water if it's just dirty and isn't dirty constantly. If it were empty or never clean, then I'd complain.

But..average pasture board (with hay provided) is around $250..you have the crazies that want to charge $360 for pasture and have no one boarded there..and then you have the barn I'm at. Not only do I pay my price and get what I get, I have a couple hundred miles of trails, an indoor arena, an outdoor arena, and a BO that will trailer wherever whenever as long as it isn't the date she has a pony party, haha.

I vote to go to a show and ask all the horse people where they board and what they charge. It may be farther away, but we gotta do what we gotta do to keep our horses, right?
Posted via Mobile Device