The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How many can I feed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-many-can-i-feed-19461/)

wanderlust 12-18-2008 12:28 AM

How many can I feed?

I just made horse cookies from a recipe a friend gave me. They consist of carrots, apples, molasses, oats, flour, a little oil and a little salt and sugar. The cookies are about an inch in diameter, and a 1/2 inch high, so not too large.

How many cookies can I safely give a horse at one time? Or does it depend on the horse?

hotreddun 12-18-2008 08:24 PM

I've always been told you shouldn't feed more than a cup of any kind of treat to a horse in one day.

Jubilee Rose 12-20-2008 12:10 AM

These cookies sound very sweet, so I would probably suggest no more than two per horse. But that is just me. They sound very tasty (for a horse), and if they might get greedy if you give them too many. :-P

nascarcats 12-21-2008 12:28 PM

My equine dentist has told me no more than 2-3 a day.

wanderlust 12-21-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose (Post 214504)
These cookies sound very sweet, so I would probably suggest no more than two per horse. But that is just me. They sound very tasty (for a horse), and if they might get greedy if you give them too many. :-P

Jubilee......my mother thinks they taste delicious! She has eaten about 15 cookies in the last few days! I tried one as well...not too bad.

New_image 12-21-2008 07:04 PM

If you throw out adding the sugar they could eat nearly a bucket full. My horses get pounds of carrots and apples from the garden in the summer. We buy treats by the 50lb sack and they get plenty of hand-outs. Even with adding sugar to your home made treats many people feed sugar cubes, peppermints and ginger snaps as treats with no ill-effects and I'm sure you haven't added that much sugar. The average healthy horse, granted they aren't allergic to anything in the cookies, could have 10-15 with absolutely no worries. I wouldn't be too concerned.