The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   List of raw healthy foods for horses: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/list-raw-healthy-foods-horses-194650/)

OliviaMyee 05-17-2013 04:35 AM

List of raw healthy foods for horses:

lets make a big list with the raw foods and their nutritional properties next to it :-).

My Source: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lettuce, green leaf, raw

- REMOVE PITS FROM FRUITS

Beet roots: potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B6 and C, folic acid, carbohydrates, protein, powerful antioxidants and soluble fiber.

Celery: Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium and Manganese.

Sweet potatoes: vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B6 ,tryptophan, potassium, fiber, vitamin B, copper, vitamin B3.

Pumpkin squash: Vit A, Vit B, Vit C, Potassium and Dietary fiber.

Lettuce leaf: (only feed small amounts) Protein, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Potassium and Manganese.

Carrots: (fair amount of sugar) Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Manganese, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin K and Potassium.

Red Apples:(red apples have less sugar than green ones, apples have allot of sugar!) Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Calcium.

Dried Dates: (has allot of sugar)Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Niacin, Riboflavin, calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, selenium and antioxidants.

Dried Raisins: (has allot of sugar)vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin B, Boron, olenolic acid, phytonutrients, calcium, iron, potassium and carbohydrates.

Grapes: vitamin-C, vitamin A, vitamin K, carotenes, B-complex vitamins such as pyridoxine, riboflavin, thiamin, Antioxidants, Catechins, Anthocyanin’s and Resveratrol.

Blue Berries: (contains less calories has the best amount of antioxidants) vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates, pantothenic acid, potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc.

Cranberries:(contains oxalates don’t feed massive amounts as it contributes to kidney stones) Vitamin C, Vitamin K, phosphorus and fibre.

Fresh Cherries: (pited ! is a must) potassium, vitamin c and antioxadents, anthocyanin, glycosides, melatonin,iron,zinc,copper,manganese, lutein, zea-xanthin and beta carotene.

greentree 05-17-2013 08:28 PM

I'm afraid I cannot afford to feed my horses fruit.

Nancy

waresbear 05-17-2013 08:30 PM

Never mind the horse, he can pick his own grass, I want those fruits! *Says this while I am at work with containers of baby carrots & grapes in my purse*

FlipFlopTipTop 05-17-2013 09:08 PM

The fruit stand I get my fruits from in summer is owned by horse people. Those horses are SO lucky. They get anything that is slightly blemished so they end up with a ton of fruit. I only wish I could give my boys that much.
I try to hang on to any scraps we dont use and give them to the horses. I make my sons baby food from scratch so end up with lots of stuff. They will eat almost any fruit or veggie and honestly love having the extra treat in their supper. They will be back home in another month or so and I cant wait to start giving them it all again.

OliviaMyee 05-19-2013 05:00 AM

I give my horse left over vegies and fruit to !