The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Best treatment for thrush?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/best-treatment-thrush-194842/)

ansinfamily 05-17-2013 12:07 PM

Best treatment for thrush??

My farrier came last night and took care of my mare. He said her front hooves are extremely dry and her back hooves have a mild case of thrush. He recommended thrush buster but I can't find it locally. Is there another treatment I could use? Thanks

nickers103 05-17-2013 12:51 PM

There are a lot of thrush products available on the market: Farnam thrush treatment, Mane N Tail Pro-Tect Thrush Treatment, Coopertox, etc. Most of these products should do the job. I live on a dairy farm and my farrier also recommended I could use Dry Cow or Tomorrow for treatment of thrush, which can be purchased at a local tractor supply, feed mill, etc. Good luck!

aforred 05-17-2013 01:31 PM

Dry is good. The farrier might not like it because it makes the hoof harder, and therefore, harder for him to trim.

smrobs 05-17-2013 01:43 PM

There is always some product available for the treatment of thrush at your local co-op/feed store/tack store/etc. If all else fails, you can get a bottle from your vet (though it's generally more expensive there).

I've never used Thrush Buster, but I have used Kopertox with good results.

The most important thing you'll want to remember, though? Wear rubber gloves. All that stuff stinks and it's almost impossible to wash off.

ansinfamily 05-17-2013 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll check my co-op today and see what I can find.

Trinity3205 05-17-2013 02:45 PM

light thrush? Scrub the feet with dawn dish soapy water in a spray bottle. Itll be gone in 2 or 3 days. No need to spend money.

michigancowgirl 05-17-2013 04:43 PM

I would suggest " No Thrush" to anyone! Its great stuff

ansinfamily 05-17-2013 04:57 PM

The farrier also mentioned just putting olive oil on it after cleaning it well. Due to the hooves being so dry. Anyone heard of that?

PaintHorseMares 05-17-2013 05:01 PM

Dry hooves are good hooves. Farriers don't like very dry hooves because they are harder to trim.
Posted via Mobile Device