The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   The ice storm has started (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/ice-storm-has-started-19500/)

Joshie 12-19-2008 12:18 AM

The ice storm has started

The predicted ice storm has started. It was supposed to start around 3 pm but didn't start until this evening. But it's been raining for hours. Please tell me HOW does it rain when it's in the 20s? :?

Hubby drove to Chicago for a friend's funeral. I had to stay and work. He had to get a hotel room because of the weather. I hope he's able to come home tomorrow. Chicago is supposed to get about 8 inches or so tonight.

I hear that the East Coast should get our ice storm in a few days. Sorry!

PaintedLady 12-19-2008 12:59 AM

Hey Joshie. If it's any consolation, it's doing the same thing here. BUT...our weather-guessers are saying it will get warmer as the night goes on. Should be in the upper 30's by the time we have to do the feeding! YAY!

Spyder 12-19-2008 01:00 AM

We are under a winter storm warning here and should get about 10 to 28 cm (depending on where you are here). Saturday will be digging out day then we are supposed to get walloped ( 10-15 cm more) with another dumping on Sunday.:shock:

Joshie...the precipitation will depend on what sort of bands of air of cold/warmer there is in the atmosphere. What may start as one form can change by the time it gets closer to earth. The temperture closer to the earth will depend of several factors such as daytime heating or cooling,clouds and how built up the area is.

Joshie 12-19-2008 01:26 AM

It's just yucky out! The weather is just strange. Never had ice/rain when it was below freezing before. They've already cancelled school tomorrow and everything was cancelled tonight. The weather is just dangerous tonight.

3neighs 12-19-2008 09:42 AM

Same story here in southern Michigan. More snow and freezing rain which is what it's doing right now (the freezing rain). Not supposed to let up until this afternoon. The rain pinging on the windows woke me up at 4:30 this morning and I couldn't quite get back to sleep again. No school for the kiddies which means they missed out on their class Christmas parties. Got plenty of finger jello and caramel corn if anyone wants some!

Dumas'_Grrrl 12-19-2008 10:03 AM

I love finger jello!!!! Is it red & green???? MmmMmMmmmm :D

I'm much further south of ya'all and we got a good band of rain that came through last night. My sister is in Iowa and SUPPOSED to be driving down to Arkansas this evening. At 10 pm last night when I talked to her she said that they had already had about a half of inch of ice where she lives. I'm kind of hoping that she won't have to go to work today and neither will her hubby so they can start driving now instead of this evening. I haven't heard from her yet today.

I hope all of you stay safe and warm...Looks like this cold front that's coming through is gonna be bitter cold. Bundle up and take care of yourselves!!!!

wanderlust 12-19-2008 10:08 AM

I'm in NY....we are supposed to be getting around 5 inches starting soon.

Joshie, I hope your husband has a safe trip.

My2Geldings 12-19-2008 11:59 AM

awww I thought the title was "the ice cream storm has started", you guess what's going thru my mind eh :lol:

Bundle up when you go outside!

hotreddun 12-19-2008 12:21 PM

It passed us already...all we had was yucky mucky rain/sleet. It did get down to 25 which is FREEZING for this area. Now it is still really foggy and icky out...but its 75 degrees outside!! Then on Sunday back in to the 40/30s. Geesh...

TaMMa89 12-19-2008 04:04 PM

Supercooled rain is horrible. It make roads really slick (I have drove never during the supercooled rain but my dad, who taught me drive, has warned me about it few times).

The weather has really been odd. Over here it have been pretty warmer than normally.