The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Foal color change?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/foal-color-change-195050/)

EmsTNWalkers 05-17-2013 05:03 PM

Foal color change??

4 Attachment(s)
Alright, I need some opinions on what is happening with this crazy color. I know some of you are familiar with the sire and dam's colors from my previous posts. The foal was born a buckskin tobiano just like my mare....however...it seems as though his color is drastically changing. It is much much darker at the root of the hairs, and on his forehead where new hair growth has come in after he cut his head open the day he was born. He is 1 1/2 months old now. Any ideas on this??

Attachment 188754

Attachment 188762

Attachment 188770

Attachment 188778

lilruffian 05-17-2013 06:16 PM

He'll probably go through a couple of changes over the first year or two. i still say that he will be buckskin either way, though he may darken. Guess you just wait and see! :)

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-17-2013 06:44 PM

First foal shed is almost always very dark.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 05-17-2013 07:32 PM

I went and looked at newborn photos, and I am pretty sure he is a brown based buckskin, which is also contributing to him being darker now. Also, as Peppy said, first shed is generally the darkest shed that most horses will go through (some exceptions will always be there to prove me wrong).

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-17-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 2546706)
I went and looked at newborn photos, and I am pretty sure he is a brown based buckskin, which is also contributing to him being darker now. Also, as Peppy said, first shed is generally the darkest shed that most horses will go through (some exceptions will always be there to prove me wrong).

Notice I said "almost". :D And I could see that baby being brown based too. I wouldnt be shocked.