The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ringbone (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ringbone-195058/)

Firegirl 05-17-2013 05:28 PM

Ringbone

I have a ten year old Arabian mare who goes lame quite often. I was working with her and a trainer the other day who said that it looks to him like she has ringbone. She is very tenderfooted and her front legs crack when she walks. She had a very bad case of thrush before I got her and even lost the frogs on her feet.
I'm not sure how to tell if it is ringbone or what else it could be. Does anyone know?

xxdanioo 05-17-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firegirl (Post 2545914)
I have a ten year old Arabian mare who goes lame quite often. I was working with her and a trainer the other day who said that it looks to him like she has ringbone. She is very tenderfooted and her front legs crack when she walks. She had a very bad case of thrush before I got her and even lost the frogs on her feet.
I'm not sure how to tell if it is ringbone or what else it could be. Does anyone know?

Get the vet to do an xray.

ETA: Also, welcome to the forum.

toosexy4myspotz 05-18-2013 05:10 PM

The only way to know for sure is to have x rays done. If it is ring bone they will diagnose upper or lower and work out a treatment plan. A good friend of mine had a gelding with upper ring bone at 12yo and they treated him with hyaloronic acid injections.
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 05-18-2013 05:24 PM

You got a picture of her feet?

loosie 05-19-2013 04:31 AM

If someone who knows what they're on about says it 'looks' like ringbone, then it's non-articular & not necessarily problematic not likely the reason for lameness. Of course, she may also have articular ringbone, which you can't see, & anything else going on, aside from her tender hooves... or maybe it's 'just' the tender hooves.

Time to check her out thoroughly & try to get her healthy & comfortable, is now, while she's still young, while (hopefully)there is no/little serious & permanent damage.