The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Bitless Bridles (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/bitless-bridles-19524/)

Janasse 12-19-2008 11:00 PM

Bitless Bridles

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a bitless bridle. Not a hackamore or sidepull but an actual bitless bridle ( website bitlessbridle.com) I was thinking about getting one as my horse has Facial Neuralgia (described on page listed) but they are kinda pricy. This site has a 30 day return but I would like to hear anyone else's opinions if any!!! Thanks

eclecticstar 12-20-2008 12:14 AM

I have used bitless bridles for the last 12 years and I love them. I even endurance raced with them. I am completely for them!

diamonr4ever 12-20-2008 05:50 PM

I have never used a bitless bridle. To me a bridle with a plain snaffle is good for me.:D. It wouldn't hurt to try it though.

JustDressageIt 12-21-2008 12:17 PM

My advice is just to make sure that you introduce the bitless as if you're training the horse all over again.
The pressure points are completely different than those of a bridle with a bit, and it takes some horses a while to become used to it; please don't throw it on and expect the same results as if you're using a bit... some horses will not like the different pressure.
I introduced the bitless semi-slowly to my boy (just to try it, my tack store started carrying them) and he still blew up; did not like it one bit. Some horses just simply do not like the feel of the way those bridles are designed. Some horses love it.. make sure you listen to your horse.
Take it slow, re-introduce the pressure first from the ground (getting him to yield both directions) then do the same thing in the saddle.

HorsesAreForever 12-21-2008 03:51 PM

I was thinking of getting one of those but decided not to due to the head hugging action.. horses are clostopobic... and I think the head hugging feeling would cause them to freak.

I use a parelli natural hackamore or a bosal. Or just my snaffle bridle :P

KR Classified Lady 12-21-2008 08:18 PM

Hello.
I have used hackamores but never a true bitless bridle. However one of my friends has a horse that can not use a bit and she uses a bitlessbridle. She does everything with it that you can do with a regular bit. It did take her horse a little getting used to though.
Chelsae

NorthernMama 12-21-2008 08:37 PM

Do a search; I think it was JDI that started a very interesting thread on bitless. You should find some interesting stories.

Janasse 12-21-2008 10:11 PM

Thanks, I did find the post done by JDI and read some interesting things in there. It seems to just depend on the horse like most things. My horse is a 21 year old Arabian that was given to me free because she "wouldn't take a bit" In the past 5 months that I have been working with her, she does well with a bit but tosses her head quite a bit when we canter (but mostly just when I put any pressure at all on the reins to ask to slow down) as well as displays other signs that are labeled under Facial Neuralgia on bitlessbridle.com. I'm not sure if this will work out like I hope it does as she also does not like to be ridden in a hackamore or sidepull. I'm afraid that with her age, I do not know what all types of training she has had and just figured we could give this a try since I can return it if it doesn't work out. I'm almost out of ideas of how to fix her problems. I love her dearly and would hate to have to give up on her as I can't afford a "pasture ornament". If anyone has other suggestions as well, please let me know and if this doesn't work I will try those too!!

NorthernMama 12-22-2008 10:28 PM

Maybe her teeth are bothering her? Has she been professionally diagnosed with Facial Neuralgia? Sometimes we do overthink things. Can you post a link that you mentioned in your opening message? I tried www.bitlessbridle.com and bitlessbridle.com and got nada on both.

Janasse 12-23-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernmama (Post 215953)
Maybe her teeth are bothering her? Has she been professionally diagnosed with Facial Neuralgia? Sometimes we do overthink things. Can you post a link that you mentioned in your opening message? I tried www.bitlessbridle.com and bitlessbridle.com and got nada on both.

Since I've had her, she's been checked by the vet twice for reasons explaining why she has trouble with the bit and riding. He cleared her both times but when I took the list to him of the Facial Neuralgia yesterday, although there are no real tests to do for this, he agreed that that seemed Very probable and is for trying the bitless bridle. I will be sure to list my success or lack there of after I get the chance to try it out.