The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse having problem being cross tied (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-having-problem-being-cross-tied-19530/)

eclecticstar 12-20-2008 12:05 AM

Horse having problem being cross tied

I just adopted my horse almost two weeks ago. The previous owner had her for four years and never use cross ties or even tied her up using a slip knot. The horse is nine years old and does not have very much training. In fact, I can't even ride her right now and lunging can be problematic. The first week went well on the cross ties but at the barn I'm at, the horses can stick their heads out of their stalls. The other horse pick on her and nip at her butt. Now it has gotten to the point that even when the other horses aren't in the stalls, if I walk away from her, she freaks out. Two days ago she reared up and jerked back and kept pulling as hard as she could. She even scratched up the side of her face. She is ok and the scratches are small but she is quite nervous. Is this something I should give up on or does someone have any suggestions?

Joshie 12-20-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclecticstar (Post 214501)
have any suggestions?

Don't use cross ties when you tie her up and don't tie her up near the other horses. She sounds scared and the situation could be quite dangerous if you use cross ties (if they don't have a quick release). I'd only use a quick release knot with a single rope.

onetoomany 12-20-2008 07:26 PM

I'd also work on having her move away from or give to pressure before tying her again. I agree with Joshie that it sounds like she is now nervous and the situation could get very dangerous if proper measures aren't taken. If it does become a habit with her, I'd watch her eye to see if she was genuinely scared or just trying to pull stuff on you.

free_sprtd 12-20-2008 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes you have so much more work to do before tying to teach her to be ok with standing there. Work a lot on confidence, personal space, touching, ect. When I started tying my guy this is what I used for a little bit before he was ok with just tying on a post with a release knot.