The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   riding english (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/riding-english-19538/)

kershkova 12-20-2008 11:26 AM

riding english

I would like to do english with out law. What do i need and wear online can i get it for a desent prize. I use a size 16 western saddle what size english saddle would I need. I have riden champ english with my friends saddle. But out law would be so good at english he can jumop the fence from a stand still and clear by a foot and he is onley four.

Jubilee Rose 12-20-2008 11:34 PM

I would really suggest taking english riding lessons. English can be quite different from western and its always nice to have an instructor to lead you step by step and start you off.

Things you'll need, would be:
- english saddle (it would probably be best to borrow one first before buying, so you get used to it and know what to look for when saddle-shopping)
- english bridle w. and english bit (something like a d-ring snaffle is good)
- horse (lol)
- umm... half chaps are always a good thing (I can't ride without mine)

That's pretty much all I can say for now, since this is a broad topic. I would definitely get someone knowledgeable about English to help you, because there's so many things, like how to see if the saddle fits, etc ... not to mention riding. But good luck and I hope you have fun!

kershkova 12-21-2008 01:35 PM

jubilee I already now how to ride english (lol)
But like i use a size 16 western saddle what would I need i need in english and wear can I look at get one online that is a good saddle

PoptartShop 12-21-2008 03:21 PM

Dover Saddlery has AMAZING English tack! :D I'd go to their website, they have all sorts of great things. :)

kershkova 12-21-2008 07:50 PM

I take size 16 western saddle what size english would I need

upnover 12-22-2008 10:37 AM

I'd also invest in some paddock boots if you normally ride in cowboy boots. There is a huge difference between the two and I can't stand it when kids come to lessons with cowboy boots! Puts your stirrup in completely the wrong place.

CiscoKidd 12-23-2008 09:29 AM

i'm a 16 western, and 17 English :-)

i'm going to start riding my western horse English soon as well !

kershkova 12-23-2008 03:26 PM

upnover I ride in padock boots already.

Gingerrrrr 12-23-2008 04:56 PM

you need a size 18 in an english saddle..

LMW 12-23-2008 10:16 PM

I think it would be best if you measured your inseam. I think then you divide by 2 but I dont remember it was 5 years ago when I bought my saddle