The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   For you mustang lovers. A lot discouraged. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/you-mustang-lovers-lot-discouraged-195434/)

aharlov 05-18-2013 02:12 PM

For you mustang lovers. A lot discouraged.

I was pretty deadset and in love with a mustang that I was planning on purchasing in the coming month. It was a lucky find, too, because there are really NO trained mustangs for sale in the Northeast!! Originally she said she just wanted the training fees back for what she put into him with 5 weeks at a training farm near us, 4 years ago. I talked with the training farm and know they now charge $1500 for 5 weeks, so I am assuming it would have even been less. I was planning on and assuming I would pay $1500, even though in the past 4 years the horse has only had 25 rides on him! Not even that much at ALL! And definitely not finished. BUT, I was prepared that that's what it would cost to get a mustang up here.

Needless to say, after all the back and forth, the woman finally told me the price she was thinking of, and it's about $1000 more than I want to spend, and she won't budge. Instead, she posted publicly on facebook that he is more than I want to spend, so now he is available to anyone who wants him. :cry:

Maybe it's a silly dream that I have to own one. It was so exciting a month ago to sit down with my husband and do all the budgeting for a horse- board, equine health insurance, savings account for unexpected vet bills, farrier bills, etc etc. and talk to him about the time I would be spending on the barn working for co-op type board.

Now - I know this will sound like stupid and dramatic but - I just want to cry. Who am I kidding? I DID cry! There are other mustangs available through the BLM online adoption, that I could pick up in NY, but my barn doesn't meet the requirements for an ungentled mustang. The TIP program is on hold, so I can't even find a TIP trainer. There are 2 'stangs that I like in NH, but they are $1000 gentled but not saddle trained, and it's hard for me to want to spend $1000 for a mustang that hasn't been started when I know I can get an ungentled one for $125 or so and put the time in myself (if I met the requirements).

Basically, maybe this is a sign that I just can't get a horse. or a mustang. And that's okay.

smrobs 05-18-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aharlov (Post 2552042)
Now - I know this will sound like stupid and dramatic but - I just want to cry. Who am I kidding? I DID cry! There are other mustangs available through the BLM online adoption, that I could pick up in NY, but my barn doesn't meet the requirements for an ungentled mustang.

Don't feel bad for being upset over such a huge disappointment. It hurts when something you've got your heart set on doesn't work out. The BLM does offer adoptions on gentled yearlings/2 year olds and even some green broke older horses that wouldn't be subject to the same housing requirements as an unhandled one.

I think the ones that are gentled, as long as you have a place for them to get out of the elements (a stall or run in shed) and a place to keep them with at least 5 foot fencing, then that's all you need.

The TIP program is on hold, so I can't even find a TIP trainer. There are 2 'stangs that I like in NH, but they are $1000 gentled but not saddle trained, and it's hard for me to want to spend $1000 for a mustang that hasn't been started when I know I can get an ungentled one for $125 or so and put the time in myself (if I met the requirements).

Basically, maybe this is a sign that I just can't get a horse. or a mustang. And that's okay.

Just for an example, this filly is only a yearling (and not one I'd likely pick due to her conformation...I don't like her legs and feet), but she's been handled enough that they should let her go to just about anyone with safe and solid fencing.
Sorrel filly

I went through the process of being approved for internet adoption a couple of years ago, but I just can't remember the requirements for a gentled horse. Let me see if I can find them.

Okay, for yearlings and gentled horses, you only need a 5 foot fence. If you didn't have that type of fencing currently, you could buy pipe panels enough to make a pen and still not spend as much as those other folks are wanting.

It's usually Mantle Ranch that has the gentled/trained mustangs for adoption, though they don't have any started under saddle for this adoption. They had 5 or 6 available last time and you can sometimes watch videos of the horses at their website.

You might just want to keep an eye on their online adoption site for gentled horses or yearlings that have the requirements that are easier to meet.

It may take a bit of time, but at least you can browse their site and know in advance exactly what they are going to have available...all the while keeping your ear to the ground closer to home too, just in case one comes available.

franknbeans 05-18-2013 04:42 PM

I have already explained to you that there will be MANY mustangs up for adoption in NJ, the beginning of august. If you really want a mustang, why not follow the trainers' threads-there are many on FB, and go watch them go and choose one or 2 to bid on. You May get one for $1500, if you are lucky-some do go for more than that, but at least they are trained to a decent level, and you will now what they are capable of, as well as the trainer who trained them if you have an issue. Seems to me you were just stuck on those mustangs and are not really open to other possibilities. You may even have a mustangs trainer who is competing close to you. I know of a couple in NY, and one in NJ.....as well as several not far away, since they pick up the mustangs in Va and compete in NJ. If you want more info, I will be glad to give it to you, otherwise, don't whine about it. You CAN have a mustang if you really want one. You just have to try.

franknbeans 05-18-2013 04:45 PM

Oh-BTW-the mustang million horses-just FYI, STARTED at $125. Totally untouched my trainer got his for $3K. Second highest price there. So none of them were cheap. Yes, if you have the facilities you can get one for $125, BUT will then spend the $$ on training. I can say my trainer charges $850/mo.....so add it up.

I don;t know how much the less expensive ones sold for at the auction after the competition last year, but you get what you pay for. THe less expensive ones were most likely the ones who were buckers, etc.

existentialpony 05-18-2013 05:34 PM

When I was shopping for my first horse last year, I fell head-over-heels in love with a mare, set up right of first refusal (I had to travel that weekend and planned on buying her after a vet check the following Monday)... and Saturday morning received a call that she was sold out from under me. :( I know that feeling of loss, especially when you're dead-set on what seems like the perfect horse. But a few weeks later I found my boy Jax, same price with more training and just the biggest heart. Don't be discouraged! You'll find your partner!

4horses 05-18-2013 05:42 PM

Too bad I am in Florida! I would love another mustang to train!

The last mustang I trained was already being ridden walk-trot-canter on trail rides (past lawn mowers, dogs etc) within about 3 months of me getting him. He was probably one of the easiest horses I have ever trained. As mustangs they don't have any bad habits you have to unteach them! I have been wanting to get another one ever since. I don't know why people think they are worthless. A horse like him, that anyone can ride, that never takes a bad step or spooks is worth a million. FYI: they paid $25 for him the day after the auction since no one bid on him.

When I sent him home, they put on a cinch that pinched him raw. Instead of acting up, he just refused to move. They called me asking what was wrong, I went over to check on him, and he had a cinch sore. How many horses with 3 months training would react like that? Not many I bet...

I would try contacting your nearest mustang club and see what they have for sale near you. It can't be that hard to get one!
Find a Mustang Club - The Mustang Source

If you really want to have fun with training your own, you could get one from auction. It is better to go to the auction yourself than buy online. The one I went too let you come and look at the horses the day before. If you stand real quietly by the rail, the more curious ones will come up and sniff you/examine you- Those are the ones I would pick for training as they are already curious about people. You also want to avoid any lameness/club footed/ other issues and the only way to do that is by seeing them in person!

For your budget, there is no reason why you can't get an untrained one and find a trainer for it. As for the fencing requirements, I don't think anyone ever checks- if they'll sell them to slaughter, what makes you think they will actually check your fences? Lots of people have really tall roundpens that may work in a pinch, if you are concerned about the horse jumping out.

They are picky about you picking up the horse in a cattle trailer though.

Good luck! And keep looking!

sinsin4635 05-18-2013 06:47 PM

I really don't know why everyone is saying you need a trainer. I had plenty of horse experience but had never actually trained a horse when I got my 5 year old , BLM , very wild mustang. As long as you have some good common sense, plenty of patience, & are safe & smart about it, i think alot of people can do it themselves. I darn sure don't recomend it for an inexperienced person!, but if you have the time & patience for it, its a great experience! & something that not a whole lotta people can say they have done! :D

horseluver250 05-18-2013 07:03 PM

Don't get too discouraged, something else will come along and you will be so thankful things fell through with the first gelding! I've been there, and yes been in tears because what I had my heart set on didn't work out. I had been completely discouraged and ready to give up looking all together and then I found my mare last week. She is soooo much better than what I ever imagined I would get. The more I get to know her, the more I feel like a sort of stole her for the price I paid lol!
You will find something don't worry!

GamingGrrl 05-18-2013 07:09 PM

The link 4Horses posted is for Ford mustangs :lol: I've been looking for an actual mustang horse club in my area, and all that keeps coming up is a ford club my dads a member of, so it gave me quite a chuckle.
Posted via Mobile Device

aharlov 05-18-2013 08:13 PM

Thank you everyone for the encouragement!

As for going to an actual adoption site, it's pretty near impossible for me because they don't have any in New England (at least not this year).

franknbeans - I have been in contact with Emma via facebook about the NJ Mustang Makeover, she hasn't gotten back to me since my last message. I am still more partial to geldings. Most of the horses on the NJ Mustang Makeover site seem to be wanted by their trainers (at least the ones that are posting most of the things seem to be wanted already?). But that is definitely a route I can take! I would have to find someone with a stock trailer willing to drive down to NJ.