The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Seaweed for horses, benefits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/seaweed-horses-benefits-195458/)

shamone6 05-18-2013 02:39 PM

Seaweed for horses, benefits

Hi guys,
So I have an older horse whos joints are starting to slow down and he found it very hard to keep weight on over winter.

So I have across a supplement called seahorse atlantic.
Its seaweed and on the website it says the following
Benefits:
Rich in a variety of minerals, vitamins and trace nutrients

Contains anti-oxidants

Natural source of electrolytes

Calms nervous horses

Anti-bacterial properties

Treats iodine deficiency & stimulates thyroid

Anti-rheumatic great for mobility, joints & bones

Anti-inflammatory properties

For maintaining overall health and boosting the immune system

Naturally conditions the coat, skin and hooves increased sheen in the coat

Scientifically proven to have anti-cancerous properties

Now Iv trawled the internet for peoples opinions on seaweed and havent come across much at all and anything I did come across was from like at least 6 years ago so Id be very interested to hear peoples opinions on it.

Shropshirerosie 05-18-2013 03:22 PM

I had a friend who used to feed her Highland Ponies a dried seaweed supplement. Her reasoning was that the Highlands living on the Shetland Isles where she was from used to graze on the seashore and would get some of their essential vitamins from seaweed.

I have never heard of it's use for arthritis, but if it has anti-inflammatories and anti-rheumatic properties then it may be beneficial.

It depends on your budget really - all supplements take some time to have effect.

Maybe try the seaweed, but also put him on a senior feed for weight gain as well.

Clava 05-18-2013 03:24 PM

Seaweed can be incredibly high in iodine and potassium, I would only supplement if there was a deficiency in your forage. Turmeric is amazing for joints and stiffness :)

shamone6 05-18-2013 04:01 PM

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Thats really interesting about the Shetland ponies, horses are clever! I have him on a feed for weight gain at the moment but was also hoping to give hime that extra boost.

The supplement im going to use is especially designed for horses with low iodine as I have heard that high iodine can be very determental for the health!
Iv actually never heard of tumeric for joints, so would you just add a bit of the normal powder that we use to the feed

Clava 05-18-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamone6 (Post 2552714)
Hi guys thanks for the replies. Thats really interesting about the Shetland ponies, horses are clever! I have him on a feed for weight gain at the moment but was also hoping to give hime that extra boost.

The supplement im going to use is especially designed for horses with low iodine as I have heard that high iodine can be very determental for the health!
Iv actually never heard of tumeric for joints, so would you just add a bit of the normal powder that we use to the feed

Feed iodine if your forage is tested as low but get it tested :)

turmeric is a really common supplement for joints and arthritis, lots of my horse friends feed it :-) I feed it to my stiff pony and he is so much better on it :-) A generous tablespoon a day (buy large bags) and the horses love it , always licking the bowl clean. Google feeding turmeric to horses - there are lots of discussions about it (well there are in the uk) :-)

toosexy4myspotz 05-18-2013 05:14 PM

I feed kelp to mine and couldn't be happier. A lot of dairy farmers in my area ffeed it to there cattle as well. From the local research I have done it helps cut down on respiratory problems skin problems and helps the absorption of nutrients passed threw the intestinal tract.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 05-19-2013 04:49 AM

Seaweed can indeed be a good supp. I too have never heard of anti inflammatory & other properties. But agree with Clava, that it's so high in iodine, pretty high in potassium & salt, that I would only feed it where those nutrients are lacking - they often are, but you don't know if you haven't analysed the horse's diet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamone6 (Post 2552714)

Yes, many nutrients can be very bad for health if overdosed, not just if deficient, and they also need to be correctly balanced with eachother - eg calcium/magnesium ratios should be approx 1:1 But if you already know your horses are low in iodine, seaweed should be OK(you don't feed much daily), at least until you get that other supp with extra in it.

Clava 05-19-2013 04:52 AM

Just 50gms of seasweed can provide several hundred times the amount of recommended daily iodine, just be very aware of this.

taken from another forum
"KellyP
Seaweed - how much do you feed?

I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out....

I feed seaweed at 100g/day, per manufacturers recommendations (Crossgates Bioenergetics), and the two ladies I stable with have done so for years.

The 'typical' iodine content of the product is apparently 0.292g/100g seaweed.

Can someone with more brains than me PLEASE tell me what that is in mg/kg or ppm? I seem to get it at 2920mg/kg, which would mean I'm giving Jack about 500 times what a horse is supposed to require.

Or put another way, a 500kg horse is supposed to require 1-2.5mg iodine/per day. I seem to be giving Jack 292mg/day.

Is it my conversion factors that are off, or am I slowly poisoning him?

FWIW, Farriers Formula contains 4.8mg/kg, and Formula for Feet has 6mg/kg.

And why do we feed seaweed? The research I've read shows that, at levels low enough to avoid iodine toxicity, the levels of trace elements and minerals are so low as to be almost negligible.

I hope someone can help - this is an argument that wanders round in my mind every so often, and I haven't come across anything to put it to rest yet http://uknhcp.myfastforum.org/images.../icon_evil.gif

Ali

Your calculation is correct - 0.292 g/100 g equates to 2.92 g or 2920 mg/kg

100 g sounds a lot of seaweed? I fed it as part of SS Total Eclipse and am only feeding 150 g/day TE. "

shamone6 05-19-2013 05:47 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys! Given me a lot to think about

But as I said seahorse atlantic equine supplement is especially formulated to be low in iodine, which is why I chose it as I understand iodine in large dises is not good for horses!

Clava 05-19-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamone6 (Post 2557266)
Thanks for all the replies guys! Given me a lot to think about

But as I said seahorse atlantic equine supplement is especially formulated to be low in iodine, which is why I chose it as I understand iodine in large dises is not good for horses!

The level should be given on the pack:-) , good to know exactly.