The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Any ideas what's going on with his hind? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/any-ideas-whats-going-his-hind-195522/)

lovetotolt 05-18-2013 05:02 PM

Any ideas what's going on with his hind?

My gaited icelandic gelding "scary" Ozzie is having some hind end issues. It feels like he's stepping into a sinkhole. Mainly happens when going downhill but does happen when on the flat sometimes. We only trail ride. He is shod all round. I have attached a link to show what he does. (it happens around 0:13) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THanks everyone.

aforred 05-18-2013 05:11 PM

I couldn't get the video to work.

lovetotolt 05-18-2013 05:34 PM

toto 05-18-2013 05:41 PM

Is the trail rocky? Looks like maybe a rock or somethin has poked him in the sole or frog maybe?

Endiku 05-18-2013 05:42 PM

Its hard for me to tell but it looks like he might have locking stifles, but also looks like it might be lower than the stifle area...

lovetotolt 05-18-2013 05:49 PM

The trails are mainly crusher dust. It's really good footing. I was also thinking it may have something to do with his stifles. :cry:

toto 05-18-2013 06:17 PM

Do you have a video thats not in slow motion? It dont really look like hes got a gimp- (stiff legged) he landed toe first and tripped- id also like to see a picture of his feet? Maybe too long even though hes shod? Not sayin my way is the only way- just in my opinion doesnt look like stifle problem in that video to me.. :hide:

Endiku 05-18-2013 06:44 PM

Looking at it a few more times it doesn't really look stifle related to me either. I thought that might be it because he does the same 'snapping' thing that my mini mule did when her stifle locked up from time to time.

waresbear 05-18-2013 07:30 PM

I can't tell nothing from that video, sorry.

roseann 05-18-2013 10:10 PM

This exact thing just recently went on with my gelding. I could never describe it properly but "stepping into a sinkhole" was exactly the feeling.
It turns out his back feet were still to long coming out of winter and transitioning to a new natural balance farrier. The vet said his hips were sore from the long toes and toe dragging. He was basically tripping over his hind feet. He is 22 and was a bit out of shape coming out of winter as well.
Posted via Mobile Device