The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Darkening Bridles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/darkening-bridles-19557/)

twinkle_toes 12-20-2008 05:24 PM

Darkening Bridles

So I bought a new bridle for my new horse, but it is too light. What is the best way to darken a bridle? My friend soaked hers in olive oil over night and it worked very well, but I was looking online and people were saying that olive oil goes rancid and ruins the bridle. Is this true, and what are your experiences? THANKS

SouthernTrails 12-20-2008 07:06 PM

Bridle Help

Neatsfoot Oil will Darken Leather and Condition it. It is normally easy to find at feed stores etc.

Equina 12-22-2008 07:34 PM

Neatsfoot Oil will do the trick, but I've heard that (over time) it can deteriorate the stitching. Hydrophane always gets rave reviews for leather oil, and I assume it would darken as well.

Remember to take the bridle completely apart before oiling so that you get a consistent coat all over (no light spots under your keepers!!)

iridehorses 12-25-2008 08:37 AM

Hydrophane makes a darkening oil besides the regular oil. It will darken tack a little at a time and is permanent. Olive oil is used by a lot of people but it can go rancid and it will attract rodents besides being a little expensive. The plus side of olive oil it is that you can also use it on your salad.

rascalboy 12-26-2008 03:20 PM

I use black/brown shoe dye/polish.
You can also find some leather dye. We have some in our tack store.
Do remember that once you oil it, it'll be much harder to dye later.
If you already oiled it, rub some rubbing alcohol over it, dry, then use the shoe polish or whatever.

luvs2ride1979 12-26-2008 07:14 PM

I second Hydrophane Darkening Oil. It's really good stuff and you don't have to worry as much about over-oiling. I have a can each of Hydrophane Darkening Oil and Leather Conditioner. It's great!

Shoe polish will wear off, and possibly transfer on to your horse when it sweats.

IrishRider 12-29-2008 11:18 AM

I soaked my bridle overnight in Hydrophane Leather Dressing. Then in the morning I set it outside in the sun all day. Not only did it darken it up but it also softened it so it is nice and supple.

iridehorses 12-29-2008 11:35 AM

Try heating the oil before applying it. That will quicken the darkening time.

megannigan 12-29-2008 01:43 PM

I've never heard of Hydrophane oil, I've always used Tanners or Neatsfoot, but Tanners is better so if you can't fine Hydrophane, soak it in Tanners darkening oil overnight.