The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   First horse to have to go to the vet in 4 years:( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/first-horse-have-go-vet-4-a-195610/)

barrelbeginner 05-18-2013 07:27 PM

First horse to have to go to the vet in 4 years:(

Well. considering we havent had to have a vet for emergency purposes in abou 4 years.. This is okay I guess.. ANYWAYS.. Last night I went out and fed.. everybody was fine and dandy.. Went back inside for a maximum of about 15 minutes.. Went back out to ride.. and found Poncho's head gashed open:(.. I didnt think it was that bad at first.) Put a rope around his neck ( thats all I had ATM) and walked him to the horse trailer. Told my mom to bring me a towel to wash it. and found.. that I could see what we thought might have been his skull0_0. We called my dad.. who called our normal vet... and he didnt do emergencies.. SOOO we found our old old vet from when we used to have many horses. and he told us to give him some antiboitics and bring him in first thing in the morning. (because At that time we didnt think it was that bad from what we could see- poncho wouldnt let us move his forlock) So we load up Poncho and get to the vet, and he sedates him... shave it.. and the vet goes

" If I new it was THIS bad I would have told you to bring him in last night"- It was sorta late as well..

We had to sedate him twice because it is a head injury and he was jerking his head alot. and the adreniline of first being there made the first one ware off faster.. anyways.. I have a before on my other computer but cant get it. I will post the before later.. But!! here is the after....
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/y...psb02ce1d0.jpg

16 stitches
bute 2 times a day until tomorrow night
and 8 tablets of TMZ(idk what that is) for 2 weeks.
and the stitches stay in for 14-21 days
total cost for everything including emergency call( even though we went to his house) $450..

waresbear 05-18-2013 07:54 PM

Poor guy!

Endiku 05-18-2013 07:56 PM

Thats a nasty wound...I probably would have demanded to have the vet see him that night even if it wasn't that bad since its a head injury. OUCH! I'm glad your vet stitched though. My vet refused to stitch our yearling filly's nearly-detatched ear 12 hours after it happened (or so we think) because he said it was too late.

Hope he gets feeling better. Any idea what he did it on?

barrelbeginner 05-18-2013 08:23 PM

Yeah it cut it on a sharp piece of cattle panel on the corner of a metal thing
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 05-18-2013 08:28 PM

$450 isn't a bad price. I've had vets do that to me before. Where I feel like I really explained the situation well and then they act like I didn't tell them just how bad it was....

Poor guy...

Delfina 05-18-2013 09:21 PM

You're in No Colorado, if you want the name of an good Equine Vet whose response to a gashed horse is "alright... I'm a movin' and will see you in 20mins or so" (guess how I know that one?) and only charges an emergency fee if he has to come out immediately (not for a well he'll be ok and I'll see you tomorrow), PM me.

He didn't even charge me an emergency fee last time since my doofus cut himself open during "regular business hours" (prefers nights and holidays for colicing... /sigh...).

barrelbeginner 05-18-2013 09:46 PM

Yeah it cut it on a sharp piece of cattle panel on the corner of a metal thing
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 05-18-2013 09:52 PM

The guy that we are using now is great. If we bring him to his place the fee iscut in half and he does a great job:) but yeah ill pm you!:)
Posted via Mobile Device

ThirteenAcres 05-18-2013 09:58 PM

Get better soon, Poncho! <3