The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   NOT trail riding? EVER?! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/not-trail-riding-ever-195674/)

CatrinaB87 05-18-2013 09:59 PM

NOT trail riding? EVER?!

I guess it shows my inexperience when I learned that some people just don't ride on trails! I couldn't wrap my brain around this. Wasn't that the ultimate goal? A relaxing trip out in the woods, just you and your horse? Don't the horses need the mental break from training in the arena? Doesn't it help them to become more confident and trust their rider? Am I alone in this shock?!

Thoughts?!

WesternTale 05-18-2013 10:03 PM

Well some horses cant ride on trails, take mine for example, he spooks at the slightest noise... And some people just dont feel comfortable doing it.

HorseMom1025 05-18-2013 10:09 PM

Some horses really do prefer the arena. I rode a hunter/jumper pony once on a trail ride. 10 minutes out she bucked me off. (First and only time I've ever come off a horse!). I did get back on and rode her for another 2 hours on the trails, but we fought the whole way. The BO sold her to a little girl who only jumps and that pony is much, much happier.
Posted via Mobile Device

goneriding 05-18-2013 10:14 PM

Trail riding is a great outlet for a show/arena horse. It is like humans having a job and taking a "break" from the grind. If you never get a break, you get burned out. I think it is a great balance. As far as some horses not being able to ride trails, that is a training/exposure issue. It is an all together different "world" when on trail.

CatrinaB87 05-18-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goneriding (Post 2554778)
Trail riding is a great outlet for a show/arena horse. It is like humans having a job and taking a "break" from the grind. If you never get a break, you get burned out. I think it is a great balance. As far as some horses not being able to ride trails, that is a training/exposure issue. It is an all together different "world" when on trail.

That is more what I was thinking, basically that creates a better all around horse. I guess I feel bad for the horses that don't get the opportunity to go exploring with their riders, and I feel bad for the riders that aren't comfortable out on the trails! I like to do ring work to reinforce behaviors and communication, but out on the trails with friends is where we BOTH love to be!

waresbear 05-18-2013 10:20 PM

My daughter never trails rides, only takes lessons, practices in an arena & shows, when she was younger, I had FORCE her to trail ride with me.

CatrinaB87 05-18-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2554842)
My daughter never trails rides, only takes lessons, practices in an arena & shows, when she was younger, I had FORCE her to trail ride with me.

Doesn't she get bored just riding in the arena?!

nvr2many 05-18-2013 10:28 PM

I get bored just riding here on the ranch! And it is 400 acres, lol. I would love to have an arena to work on things in (preferably covered), but would not want to be limited to it. I guess it is just different strokes for different folks. We cannot all be the same.

waresbear 05-18-2013 10:31 PM

No, she thinks trail riding is boring and unimportant, to each their own I guess. I find trail riding challenging and if the truth be told, more difficult than showing. I do both, heavily.

waresbear 05-18-2013 10:33 PM

This is what I find a challenge, looking for a way to manuver around obstacles
http://www.horseforum.com/attachment...icture-449.jpg