The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   300 mile round trip and she's home...but....... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/300-mile-round-trip-shes-home-19573/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 12-21-2008 04:11 AM

300 mile round trip and she's home...but.......

it felt like the never ending road trip....2 cranky kids and a teen ager who listened to her mp3 player the whole way....from the start i knew our new mare wasn't what she was lead up to be... we had trouble putting a blanket on her for the ride home.....it took some time to load up in to the 2 horse trailer, she only swayed the trailer once on the whole trip home.

our vet /trainer came with us to check her over, health wise she is great, but some where in her short life she has been aboused, she is a very pushy mare and doesn't have any trust ....she's a really pretty mare but don't think i can trust putting my 14 year old begginer daughter on her...at this point i'm not sure what i want to do with her.......i'll take pic's of her in the morning...

Zanesgirl 12-21-2008 07:55 AM

It can be really difficult when they turn out to be something other than what you were expecting.

Bear in mind that it'll probably take her a couple of days to settle in to her new surroundings, and get used to all these strangers.

When i have horses come in for work, i give them at least 3 days to settle in before i start any work on them, i just hang out with them brushing, giving the odd treat, and talking to them. its amazing how quickly they go to their true temperament once they settle.

Good luck with her and i hope all goes well, sorry i cant be much help.

Zanesgirl

PS. I don't envy you with the two cranky kids and teenager in the car, not exactly my idea of fun, especially when you've also got the worry of the horse on the back..........too much for me i must admit!

Merry Christmas!

KatieStanley 12-21-2008 10:26 AM

I hate to hear this! I was looking forward to a better story! BUT at least she is in a better place now...give her a few days. She may be better after settleing in. Look forward to some pics!

My2Geldings 12-21-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KANSAS_TWISTER (Post 215025)
it felt like the never ending road trip....2 cranky kids and a teen ager who listened to her mp3 player the whole way....from the start i knew our new mare wasn't what she was lead up to be... we had trouble putting a blanket on her for the ride home.....it took some time to load up in to the 2 horse trailer, she only swayed the trailer once on the whole trip home.

our vet /trainer came with us to check her over, health wise she is great, but some where in her short life she has been aboused, she is a very pushy mare and doesn't have any trust ....she's a really pretty mare but don't think i can trust putting my 14 year old begginer daughter on her...at this point i'm not sure what i want to do with her.......i'll take pic's of her in the morning...

That is really unfortunate. Was she bought sight unseen? I'm sure it will be a matter of time before she settles down and starts adjusting. Keep us posted on her progress?

KANSAS_TWISTER 12-21-2008 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
today was a little better, although she did not eat the hay i put out for her last night, she nibbled at her grain all morning.
Luna will be going to our trainers some time in january for a few weeks in order to see if she is what sarah need's, if not she'll be traded or sold to find the right one. she really likes my husband a lot and will follow him around. (hence the pic below). it's a bad pic my camera was dying. but this is what she looked like.

M2G i actually found her on freecycle.org, but the BO wasn't really truthfull on some thing's, all i had to do was pay for gas to get her.

Gingerrrrr 12-22-2008 12:29 AM

shes so pretty. i hope it all works out.

DixiesPaintedNova 12-22-2008 01:49 AM

Im sorry to hear that.
Aww she's really pretty. Hope everything turns out ok.
The best thing i find with any animal is to give them time to adjust but also spend ALOT of time with them to gain their trust.

FGRanch 12-22-2008 09:37 AM

She is sooo pretty! Give her time she might turn around and be your daughter's best friend! Good luck and glad you got her home!

ShannonSevenfold 12-27-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KANSAS_TWISTER (Post 215446)
M2G i actually found her on freecycle.org, but the BO wasn't really truthfull on some thing's, all i had to do was pay for gas to get her.

No way! I've been using that sight for quite awhile now and have never once thought to check for horses there. :-o I'm going to do that.

booner 12-28-2008 11:45 PM

Hope things work out too, she is very stunning.