The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-bit-195738/)

Serenity 05-18-2013 10:28 PM

What bit?

I do gymkhanas with my mare and right now I'm using a ringed snaffle side pull. I need a good barrel racing bit or at least something that'll give me more control. I want to stop using the side pull and go back to using my old bridle, which also has a ringed snaffle. Just need something with control, but I prefer not to use a hackemore. Any ideas?

toto 05-18-2013 10:39 PM

Why do you feel like you need more controll than your sidepull?

Serenity 05-18-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2555410)
Why do you feel like you need more controll than your sidepull?

Well, kinda. I get some control with the side pull but I feel like the bit is to simple for her and she's taking advantage of it.

toto 05-18-2013 11:25 PM

Have you ridden her in a hackamore yet? I wouldnt ride barrels in a leverage (mechanical) hackamore- my friend used to ride in one but i would go for an S-hackamore- you can try a combination hackamore and snaffle bit.

Serenity 05-18-2013 11:54 PM

I have not ridden her in a hackemore. I can try it, I'm just not that big of a fan of them. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that and see how she does.

toto 05-19-2013 01:25 AM

Cool- let me know how she does! :thumbsup:

aforred 05-19-2013 01:33 AM

There are some very recent threads on this in the Barrel Racing subforum (of Riding Horses, I think.)

Lots of people like the junior cowhorse type bits.

SorrelHorse 05-19-2013 01:34 AM

Are you sure this is not a training gap? I am not against bumping up to a stronger bit for gaming, however only when a horse is totally finished and responding well in a snaffle.

One of my favorites for a light horse just coming out of the snaffle is this:

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Junior Cow Horse Roller Dog Bone Gag Bit

Or, this sweet six.

Sweet Six Iron Wrap O-Ring Mouth Bit - Jeffers

I do agree the little S hack is a wonderful option. However, you really have to have the "hackamore horse" for it. It's pretty light.

Serenity 05-19-2013 08:12 PM

I've taken a look at both those bits and I'd prefer that over a hackemore. A snaffle is just to simple for my mare. She's stubborn and her training is really good. I think I'm going to try a jr. Cow horse, but not sure yet :/