The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I Have Returned..........finally! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-have-returned-finally-19576/)

Zanesgirl 12-21-2008 06:39 AM

I Have Returned..........finally!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Well, according to the date on my last visit, its been two months since i was on here last..............how i survived i'll never know!
For those of you who aren't aware of why i disappeared, it was because i moved, and now i'm setting up in a new house, on a new property, with a new business and some new horses...........not that i've had any 'old' horses for a while now.

Anyway, i'm in a 5 bedroom house which is about 80 years old, on 5 acres with 4 foot high grass, and a massive old barn/machinery shed at my disposal. So as you can imagine, i'm in heaven.........hayfever heaven, but heaven none-the-less lol

Okay, now about my horses.

I was given a grey mare, who arrived on the 12th November. The owner couldn't do anything with her, and basically she's been getting belted up by the other horses for the last 2 years. She's about 5 years old (gotta confirm that yet), and has an incredible flight instinct. flinch and she's gone. she's soooooooooo scared you are going to hurt her, it just makes you want to cry. Anyway, due to my OH watching southpark, he's named her Tweak........being so twitchy and all.
So, after about half an hour of doing join up with her, we started to make real progress. Over the course of a couple of weeks, i got to the point of riding her at a walk in the round yard. this did not go well.......it didn't go bad as such, i mean, she did hop a bit, but nothing serious. she has issues with someone being above her and telling her what to do. We are working on that.
She also could not be caught for love nor money, and yet i moved her into a much bigger paddock yesterday, and when i walked up to her today, she thought about moving away, but then just waited for me to get there. she still flinched when i went to pat her, but i got her to relax and then we were buddies again.

Oh, by the way, when she got here she was 13.2HH, she's now getting close to 14.2HH, she's dappled grey with dark mane, tail and legs, would have a blaze if she was another colour and has percheron in her somewhere. basically she's built like a brick &#$%house.

Next comes Raph.
He's a very striking bay pony colt, 2 years old and around 12.3HH, maybe slightly taller.
He didn't get a great start, basically he's an obnoxious pain in the rear end, but i cant blame him. From what i understand, he hasn't had any other horses to tell him how to behave, so he's still trying to figure out where he fits in.
When i got him (about 3 weeks ago) you'd walk into the paddock and he'd rear at you. not in a menacing way, he was just wanting to play! but i had to put a stop to that. he would also chuck mini tantrums when i said no.
for instance: i'd be leading him, and he'd start his tantrum by striking out, if that got him no-where (it didn't), he'd swish his tail, still got nothing out of it, so he'd toss his head. now, the most he does is swish his tail. oh, and now that he has toys he's not trying to play with me any more.
i did find something amusing today that. he got stuck half up the tree in his paddock! he was either playing and got caught up, trying to mount it (he is going through puberty after all), or figured he could climb a tree???!!! lol
he got himself out of it fine, but still pulled a face at me as if to say "i meant to do that!" lol

so that's those two.

Now for the two that are yet to arrive!
Whiskey is about 3 and a half, 14HH or so and a buckskin, recently gelded. he's coming down with his son Keiser, who's a steel grey boy around 15months old, and still entire. his mum was 12HH so i'm not sure what size he will get to.
as soon as they get here, you'll know all about em!

Now for the business!
I've just begun to do this officially. I start horses from scratch and/or work with older horses. my first client's two horses went home last weekend and they are absolutely wrapped!
One was a 5yo arab X gelding who has trouble making decisions (not so much any more! yay) the other is a 3yo miniature pony who needed starting from scratch! because of his size, and the fact that he is so quiet, i got him going, and then got my kids to do everything with him, under supervision of course. apparently they are both going really really well, so i think thats pretty good.

I've also got 2 horses booked in for next weekend, one a week later, and 3 a week after that, so i'm going to be busy.

Anyway, i've rabbited on for long enough and probably bored you all to tears, but just had to let you know that i'm still in the land of the living, and life is looking pretty sweet for a change!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND HOPE YOU HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Photo 1 is of Tweak,
Photo 2 is of Raph,
Photo 3 is of Whiskey & Keiser

Vidaloco 12-21-2008 09:53 AM

Welcome back :D
Sounds like you have been very busy, but extremely happy.

ohhellneely 12-21-2008 12:07 PM

Congratulations on starting up the new buisness!
Sounds like it is going really well. =]

Zanesgirl 12-22-2008 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 215076)
Welcome back :D
Sounds like you have been very busy, but extremely happy.

Thanks for the welcome!

I must say, i think i haven't been this happy in about 15 years.
I have finally found a place where i am happy to NOT leave the property to go out and about. its a struggle to get me off the place and away from my little slice of heaven, and i wouldn't have it any other way.
also, my kids are LOVING the new lifestyle.

Merry Christmas to all ! :lol:

Zanesgirl 12-22-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhellneely (Post 215142)
Congratulations on starting up the new buisness!
Sounds like it is going really well. =]

Its going great ohhellneely! see previous post haha