The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Any other vegetarian riders? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/any-other-vegetarian-riders-195834/)

xGirugamesh 05-19-2013 01:57 AM

Any other vegetarian riders?

I've been a veghead since the fourth grade. I was wondering if anyone else was a vegetarian and if you have any good recipes for competition days(:

Carolina-style Barbecue Sandwiches Recipe | Vegetarian Times
BBQ always sets the mood for playdays or is a good end to a long day with the horses, so I like this recipe a lot for that reason.

HorseCourage 05-23-2013 02:14 PM

Hey :) I became vegetarian oh like 4 years ago. haha i love eating, but find it really hard to find healthy food that I actually like. Pasta is always a good choice for compeition days, I make my own pasta most of the time, It's a quinoa-flour pasta and its soooo good and really good for you! For lighter meals I take a piece of toast and put some almond butter on it. Really good as well :3

Coffeejunkie 05-26-2013 08:09 PM

Disclaimer: I'm not a veg by any means (but eat so little meat that people often think I am!) :))

Anyways, my fave go to is also pasta (salad). If doing for a large group that I don't know what everyone will eat, I usually just do noodles, cheese and dressing. For myself I usually toss over lettuce and add in veggies (Peppers, tomatoes, etc). Also a good hot summer show food, as it's served cold. For a mixed group could also add some cubed salami or ham on the side.

salad. I mix spinach and baby greens, top with walnuts, almonds, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and feta cheese. Or any combo of what I have from that. I'm not a big dressing person but serve with Raspberry vinaigrette..

Veggie pizza!

For snacks:
Homemade granola/protein power bars
Cut fruit/veggies and dip
Pita and dip
Applesauce

MyFillyAspen 05-27-2013 01:01 AM

Just wondering - not wanting to provoke anything - but do you vegetarians use leather tack, or is that a big no-no with you, due to using animal skins?

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread - this is just something I have been wondering for a while.

loveduffy 05-27-2013 01:20 AM

I like these recipe I some time take tomato and put on toast for a quick snack

Saddlebag 05-27-2013 02:06 PM

Halley, If there wasn't a market for the hides they'd all be in the dumps. The steer isn't killed for it's hide, the hide is a by product of the meat industry. By not using the hide, the producer would get even less.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-27-2013 02:08 PM

:wink:How do you ride a vegetable? (TIC)

MyFillyAspen 05-27-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2628305)
Halley, If there wasn't a market for the hides they'd all be in the dumps. The steer isn't killed for it's hide, the hide is a by product of the meat industry. By not using the hide, the producer would get even less.

Yes, I know it is a by-product (as are organs, which can be used for a variety of things, including intestines for racket strings). I was just wondering if vegetarians (or even vegans) still used leather or not - I know vegetarian's dont eat meat - but was wondering if since it is from the animal, would they use the other materials.

Just something I have been wondering, not trying to nit pick :-).

xGirugamesh 05-31-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalleysComet (Post 2630289)
Yes, I know it is a by-product (as are organs, which can be used for a variety of things, including intestines for racket strings). I was just wondering if vegetarians (or even vegans) still used leather or not - I know vegetarian's dont eat meat - but was wondering if since it is from the animal, would they use the other materials.

Just something I have been wondering, not trying to nit pick :-).

Technically since I'm not a vegan, I can consume/use byproducts of animals, as long as I don't eat the animal itself. I do use leather, but strictly in tack because of its durability. I don't use it outside of that. Besides, I usually buy used saddles anyway, so I'm not directly benefiting anyone who IS in direct contact with the animal before it's killed.

totalfreedom 06-15-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 2628329)
:wink:How do you ride a vegetable? (TIC)

With a tiny saddle. :lol:

I'm not a full time raw vegan. But I eat mostly raw plants. I've had a few stretches of eating very clean....no meat, no dairy, no grains, nothing cooked......here it would be easier to say what I did eat.......raw plants, sprouted seeds..... I felt AMAZING during those months. I had a feeling it was the best food for the body but actually experiencing it was something else.

A "recipe" I enjoy is a raw curry. I use carrots, celery, and bell pepper in a blender....add a little fat such as coconut oil and or sesame oil. Add your spices, turmeric, curry, some type of hot pepper, coriander, ginger....something like that. Blend it all up. Then I'll chop up some veggies, typically what I have on hand or crave, add some cilantro and maybe some cashews......put that in a bowl and then top it with the blended mix. Yeah.....something like that. :D