The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Chances Diet Good or bad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/chances-diet-good-bad-19584/)

HorsesAreForever 12-21-2008 10:41 AM

Chances Diet Good or bad?

Okay I thought id see if chance is on a good healthy diet. Remember I board and I cant change the brand of grain.

Her diet when im NOT there
In the morning she gets 2 flakes of hay then is turned out
Brought back in around 4 gets anouther 2 flakes
1/4 scoop of stryder grain.
thats it

When I AM there
She get 2 flakes and turned out for 2-3 hrs when I get there I bring her in and Throw in about 2 flakes while grooming in her stall.
Around 4 or 5 She get 1/4 scoop of stryder grain
then I give her about 4 flakes for the night.
Note: Every so often [1x a week] I gave her a couple of handfuls of bran mash. And obviously she gets her treats :)

Every once in a while you can see a couple ribs. its getting harder to see now since shes getting a winter coat. Shes about 960lbs and 15H Small build. Shes also a TB. She has a nice shiney coat and full of energy.

Peggysue 12-21-2008 10:46 AM

Who makes the Styrder?? I haven't heard of it so need to find the analysis and ingredient list on it

HorsesAreForever 12-21-2008 12:02 PM

its by blue seal.

heres a link Blue Seal Feeds, Inc. - Equine - Pelleted Horse Feeds

its the first one.

Edit: I wanted to add that she gets about moderate amount of excersise.

Peggysue 12-21-2008 12:27 PM

OK first ingredient is corn which means this is a HIGH NSC feed... think "hot" hyper energy ...

what size scoop are you using?? Min amount for a horse in moderate work is 6lbs so chances are you are lacking nutritioanlly because I will almost bet yuo aren't feeding enough of it ..

You are also PROBABLY severaly lacking in amino acids... but who knows since they arent' giving us those levels

If Blue Seal was ALL I could get I would go with http://www.blueseal.com/equine/produ...naViteLite.pdf
then add beet pulp or alfalfa pellets to those that NEED more calories

HorsesAreForever 12-21-2008 12:57 PM

Like I said I cant change the type of grain strider is my only choice. I can only add more or take away. We had to bring her down to 1/4 scoop or so because she got VERY hot VERY quickly on 1 full scoop. Ill check on the board when I go next to see if they upped it at all. I can DEFF buy a bag of that mina-vite-lite. And I could probably have my friend give her some when im not there... How much would she need added to her normal grain?????

Its just one of those plastic scoops ... that come in a ton of diff colors

free_sprtd 12-21-2008 02:06 PM

Why can't you change it?

HorsesAreForever 12-21-2008 03:42 PM

Tell you the truth im not sure I just know its the "barns grain" and every horse gets it really

My mom agreed on getting the mina-vite-lite.. How much should i add to her grain?

Peggysue 12-21-2008 06:33 PM

let me check

you can always request no grain and have them just feed the amount of Min a Vit needed for her nutrition ...

Peggysue 12-21-2008 06:38 PM

add 2 1/2 measuring cups of min a vit :) since it sounds as if she is only getting about 2 lbs of grain total... I would do at least 1 cup morning and 1 cup at night

If you remove teh styder completely you just give her 1 1/2 cups morning and evening

HorsesAreForever 12-21-2008 07:53 PM

I believe she only gets grain at night. So I should gave her 1 full cup of mina-vite

SO literally like a cup liek a normal measureing 1 cup right??