The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Looking for an equally athletic NF stud for my mare. Any suggetsions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/looking-equally-athletic-nf-stud-my-19593/)

charroit 12-21-2008 02:33 PM

Looking for an equally athletic NF stud for my mare. Any suggetsions?

I am looking for a Fjord stallion that is extremely athletic--(like my mare.)
I am also looking to take out some of the flaws on her that may be passed on to the baby. Any suggestions/stallions?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../Horses099.jpg

charroit 12-21-2008 02:35 PM

EX: She's extremly quick on her feet and performes good, deep slides. She does reining, gymkhana and is going to start on some cow work :).

Joshie 12-22-2008 12:34 AM

I don't understand why you would want to breed your horses until you have quite a bit saved up. Will you have to rebuild your barn? Whatever happened to the dog? Horses are not selling well right now and you'd more likely than not take a loss on a foal until the market turns around. I'd certainly want a good cushion in the bank before I'd consider breeding.

wild_spot 12-22-2008 04:53 AM

I agree with Joshie on this one, from other threads it doesn't seem like you are in the best position to be bringing a foal into this world right now. Will you be able to afford the vet care and scans for your mare? The vet bills if she has a difficult birth? The vet care for the new foal, even if nothing goes wrong? if I were you I would wait until you've fixed your barn, and have a bit saved up in case of any eventuality.

P.S. Your mare is super cute!

charroit 12-22-2008 11:09 AM

Yes were going to rebuild the barn, everything is insured. The dog is fine and out playing in the snow. The mare will have 11 months so hopefully the economy will rise by then. If not then we'll keep the foal till it does. Kiana Hermosa and Finesse all have insurance.

Anyway, im just looking at the possibilitys for this upcoming spring.

Spyder 12-22-2008 01:29 PM

If this mare is registered you should go to the registry's information site that will show all stallions available. They should be the first place to look.

charroit 12-22-2008 04:32 PM

Ive looked through most of the stallions and they all seem to be heavyweights. She's much more refined and agile :/ I wouldnt want to breed to a heavyweight. Spyder--you should know of some good stallions

Spastic_Dove 12-22-2008 04:33 PM

Well...What are your plans for her? I know you said she does gymkhana and cow work and stuff. Where does she excell though? What do you want out of the baby?

Gingerrrrr 12-22-2008 04:40 PM

all the fjords im finding are pretty much heavyweights but heres a website you can look at.
Norwegian Fjord Horse: Breeders Farms Stables Horses for Sale

appylover31803 12-22-2008 06:06 PM

I would personally wait until she's a bit older (maybe 5 or so) before she has her first foal and in that time you'll be able to show her (she'll then have a show record which would be a lot better than, well right now she's in training for...)

I can't see any possible flaws she has by the photos. I would suggest you take some photos of her squared up and from all sides (right, left, front, back)