The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   2 yr old TB filly - more body than leg, normal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/2-yr-old-tb-filly-more-196042/)

kadenandellasmom 05-19-2013 12:08 PM

2 yr old TB filly - more body than leg, normal?

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this filly in the fall as a long yearling - she came to me underweight and with rainrot from withers to tail...obviously neglected (and I was NOT expecting that!)

She is now a good weight and doing well. She has a lovely trot (see video: ), but is strangely proportioned...her body is BIG, but her legs are not all that long, but are thick - almost like a warmblood. She stands right at 15hh now, strings to about 16hh, and turns 2 at the end of June.

Does she look normal to all of you - proportion wise? Anybody else have pics of their 2 yr old TB's? and any idea what's up with the belly??

deserthorsewoman 05-19-2013 12:19 PM

She looks more like a yearling than a two year old. One of the awkward phases some go through growing up. The belly...hay? Worms?
What is she eating?

kadenandellasmom 05-19-2013 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=deserthorsewoman;2558514]She looks more like a yearling than a two year old. One of the awkward phases some go through growing up. The belly...hay? Worms?
What is she eating?[/QUOTE ] She gets high quality alfalfa, 3 lbs of senior, and a high fat (25%) supplement (1lb) per day. Has been wormed regularly, but have not done a fecal...

And I agree with the looking more like a yearling...

Posted via Mobile Device

CatrinaB87 05-19-2013 12:49 PM

That tail is awfully long to belong to a yearling.

kadenandellasmom 05-19-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrinaB87 (Post 2558778)
That tail is awfully long to belong to a yearling.

She's definitely 2 - double registered, so no question on age. Just isn't "looking" 2...and I don't know why

CatrinaB87 05-19-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadenandellasmom (Post 2558802)
She's definitely 2 - double registered, so no question on age. Just isn't "looking" 2...and I don't know why

Have you owned her from the get go? There are some coming two year olds at my barn that I could have sworn were coming three year olds, so maybe shes just a runt? She is cute though.

CatrinaB87 05-19-2013 01:02 PM

I was only asking about the owning from the get go due to maybe not enough feed in the begging, but then lost my train of thought as I often do!

deserthorsewoman 05-19-2013 01:21 PM

Definitely do a fecal.....you could be dealing with resistant worms.
What senior and fat supplement are you giving? There are big differences in quality, not always visible at first glance.
is alfalfa the only hay you can get? Do you feed free choice? Other types of hay available, and if so, what? Is she EPSM/PSSM diagnosed, why is she on that fat supplement?
Did you have her teeth checked, she is starting to change them now and could have trouble.

Country Woman 05-19-2013 03:23 PM

She was maybe underfed before so that is why she looks smaller

good luck with her

smelmel 05-28-2013 03:23 PM

looks just like my TB when i got him, the belly i would attribute to neglect, they get big hay bellies from eating all day and no excersize. She`s efinately a pretty girl, and lucky you found her. It`s highly regular to have a tb that age and size, you have to realise due to high grain intake and breed modification TB`s stop growing around 2-3, as warmbloods and QH`s stop at 4-5. That`s how they race them so young, they`re already finished developing. It`s definately not natural yes, but keep in mind it is a purely man made breed. It wouldn`t hurt to have some fecal testing and blood work to make sure the hay belly isn`t bloating due to ulcers or parasite content, both of which are extremely common in TBs and can be very painful.